1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

What can I do this summer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Link the Writer, Apr 14, 2011.

With a 3-4 month long summer vacation coming in a few weeks, I'm both very excited and nervous.

See, I usually go a week or two before I get incredibly bored.

So, what are some of the things I can do to help allievate boredom? This is what I have so far:

#1- Start an exercise routine where I jog and lift weights in the morning.

#2- Read books from the library.

#3-Attempt to write and finish the first book of my Colonial detective series.

#4- Play videogames. (But I don't want to do only this the entire summer...)

#5- Watch a movie or two.

I'm ashamed to say this but...I don't have a license yet, so I can't drive. :( I'm learning, though. :D

2. Lazy_Otaku271

Lazy_Otaku271 New Member

I get bored around the last month of summer vacation. I normally just browse the net, maybe go out and walk every now and again, and play some soccer or some kind of sport. Of course, if you ever get a ride to the water take it. Swimming is something that I can do from 8am to 10pm on a summer day. Just use your imagination.

Of course, if you want to get a head start on next year, you can always study for school. Maybe memorize the entirety of Webster's dictionary?

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I don't have a licence either and I am nearly thirty-five. God gave us feet and bicycles for a reason lol

How about taking a pad and a backpack and go for a walk?

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Considering it's going to be summer, I'd take advantage of the weather. Visit some gardens, or go to a park (you can read and write there, as well going on swings and stuff if they have them which is always fun :p), go for a walk, play sport if you're into it.

Or if you'd rather be indoors, I suggest starting a few new projects. Writing, gaming, arts and crafts, learning a new language, building something etc. Try and make it a variety in case you get bored of one.

And don't be ashamed about not being able to drive, I can't either. :p

5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

In addition to reading books from the library, you could volunteer there! You want to be a librarian, right? Having volunteer time with libraries can help you with that. :)

6. clockwise

clockwise New Member

Get a job? That's my goal for this summer xD. At least for the first month or two, after that it's probably not enough time for it to be worth it.

Maybe think of something you've always wanted to learn but didn't have the time to and go after it. I can't think of anything else I want to learn right now, but I'm upping my practice time for writing and drawing from an hour to two hours because the summer gives me so much extra time. Maybe three hours, but my attention span is telling me that's pushing it... xD;

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, I've always wanted to learn how to write with my left hand so I could become ambidexterous...

8. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Can't you hang out with friends? That's what my students can't seem to get enough of, but maybe Turkish kids are unusually sociable...my daughter spends all summer hanging around beaches and cafes with her friends...or they end up sleeping all over my sitting room.

9. Corbyn

Corbyn Lost in my own head Supporter Contributor

Link, most people with a license still can't drive... myself included..... :p

If you can't ride around or get work for the summer, maybe you can make yourself try something you wouldn't normally do? Some schools or even colleges offer short term classes such as fencing... I've always wanted to learn how to play with a sword... my point is .. it's summer FIND something you think you might enjoy and try it... if worse comes to worse you'll at least have some funny memories...

1 person likes this.
  10. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

haha I'm teaching myself to be ambidextrous. I figure that when I need to work on my writing (but don't have wifi access) I can use my right and then my left hand when the first one tires.

1 person likes this.
  11. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

I'm so jealous. I wish I had a summer vacation. I get school and work. Just catching up on my credits, since I took time off for my son. If I got a vacation,
    I'd go to the beach, go surfing, go to some amusement parks... Then again, I'm in Florida, so I have access.

But exercise is always a good way to spend your time. :)

12. Silver_Dragon

Silver_Dragon New Member

Your list sounds pretty good to me, especially taking the time to read lots of books (this is something I often miss when I'm working, as writing takes up most of my spare time). I need to get into an exercise routine too. :p

Don't worry about not having a license yet...it's not really a big deal if you can get around without it. I got my G1 driver's license when I was 19, and only because my sister, who was three years younger, was really excited about getting hers. I thought I'd make a terrible driver.

13. L.H.J.

L.H.J. New Member

That's for me to know and you to not know.
    i'd go out and socialize more but then again try to write more. movies would def be on my itinerary. and if i were you, i'd pratice and get my license! ;)

14. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Link,

Go Out And Socialize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I didn't get my permit until I was 17 due to living in Germany when I was in high school and the fact that the German drivers' laws are different. All my college friends were shocked about me not having a license when I started university. Nothing wrong with being behind; I got a late start too. The longer you can avoid auto insurance, the better...

Here are some ideas.

1. Get a job.

2. Get an internship, volunteer, anything to put on your resume.....

3. Make some friends and get out in the world.

4. Start a club.

5. Get a girlfriend.

6. Finish your novel.

15. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

I'm sure with effort you can teach yourself to write with your left hand, but natural ambidexterity is genetic, and incredibly rare. You can't "teach" genetics.

But as for what to do this summer, I think you should follow Mallory's suggestions :) she's got some good advice.

1 person likes this.