What Can We Learn From Goose?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Bone2pick, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I don't see how that relates to what I said. His idea of the 'Overhuman' is purely theoretical, and follows neither master nor slave morality. He was working toward something else—a complete re-valuation of all values, but alas it was cut short by insanity and then death. Jung later analyzed Nietzsche and his ideas and revealed that no self-determination of values is possible, because it failed to take into account the unconscious and the Shadow, which always hits you upside the head with whatever you're trying to repress. I was trying to take those theoretical abstractions and place them in the real world, where it seems neither can be used in a pure form. Peace requires police. How does one enforce pacifist values on a society? Where there are countless helpless victims predators will victimize them unless there are strong defenders.

In one form yes, but as I said above, it's also a necessity to protect yourself, loved ones, and innocents from violence. Hence why I said If there are bad guys with guns then you need good guys with guns—otherwise the bad guys rule over all and there's no law, only anarchy and endless violence. Life has always been competition for resources and it always will, in the vegetable as well as the animal kingdom. In highly civilized ie modern society we can live in ignorance of this fact because the rule of law prevails and we're shielded from the vast majority of difficulties our ancestors faced. But if civilization or the rule of law break down anarchy and violence burst in once more.

I would respectfully modify Dr. Asimov's phrase to read "Initiating violence is the last refuge of the incompetent—and defending against it a necessity of the decent.”

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    MartinM likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Not to mention that more prosaically they are at Miramar for Top Gun.. it's TDY not a permanent duty station so Goose's family would be several hundred miles away at what ever NAS they are home based at

that's not entirely true, lots of pilots have families... they're not all two dimensional tail chasers...

At the end of the day though we're massively over thinking the whole thing... the whole film is a Tom Cruise vehicle, not shakespeare... there aren't hidden meanings and deep resonance here... goose is a cardboard cut out who's only function is to be a contrast to maverick to make Tom Cruise look like a bad boyt and then to die and thus provide Mavericks 'motivation' for his character arc.

Iceman's only purpose is to be 'the other guy' and provide maverick with loyal competition

Its a mistake to think of a film like this as being analogous to a novel... its more like an action comic for kids

KiraAnn, Some Guy and MartinM like this.
  3. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Goose wasn't a pilot, he was a RIO. If he wasn't competent, he wouldn't have been at Miramar. Top Gun is the Navy's elite training facility. Only the top air crews ever get to attend Top Gun.

I still don't see Goose as being in any way "morally grey."

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Meh, 80s action hero's best buddy dies so he can learn... stuff? Loud noises and popcorn.

Some Guy, Catriona Grace and evild4ve like this.
  5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

And what's the difference between a RIO and a wizzo? A wizzo works in a fighter bomber and delivers scheduled ordinance? I could google it, but that's not as much fun as "human" discourse.

6. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Both are referred to as the GIB (Guy In Back), so I have always thought they're pretty much the same. However, I confess that I've never really looked into it.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Theoretically jets that do air to mud have weapons system officers, while those that do air to air have Radar intercept officers but since most modern jets can do both its more to do with the service

the navy have Rios the airforce have wizzos, I’m not sure off hand about the marines

Homer Potvin likes this.
  8. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I never actually liked Goose. I didn't realise he was so popular. And yeah, no idea why.

MartinM likes this.
  9. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I liked the wife, squealing as she runs to him with kids in tow.
    I guess my only point was it's an 80s formula action romp. Hollywood is one throbbing amalgamated dick.

10. MartinM

MartinM Banned

I’ve enjoyed this thread surprisingly more than I thought possible. What @Bone2pick posed as a question definitely resonated with the forum audience both for good and bad opinions. I personally started to think deeper into the story’s plot above that of a Dom Simpson movie to profile Tom Cruise.

@big soft moose stated “Its a mistake to think of a film like this as being analogous to a novel... its more like an action comic for kids” Although I’d agree in part. I’d respectfully disagree that there is not more than we can learn about character development. The OPs author later commented on a thread he thought about posting but never did about the merits of sacrificing realism in human behavior (or their circumstances) for greater emotional payoff…

And that’s the crux of this story. Modern day story telling misses the mark with its ‘message’ at the expense of emotional empathy for a character. Top Gun2 Maverick I’m not sure what to expect here in 2022? The flight scenes will be epic and worth the ticket just because the star is flying the plane! However, what development in Maverick’s character arc will I expect? Not much from the trailer…

Without Goose, the film needs another Goose to make it work. Does this mean we see a hot shot female pilot loose cannon that pushes the envelope? Which Mav helps so she succeeds, but at what cost? Maverick dies…?

I will see this movie, but I can’t see how it could possibly hit me emotionally in the same way. How do you think it could?

The final thing I wanted to say and stated earlier. In the new Get Back Beatles series how much George Harrison reminds me of Goose…

Sorry for the ramble

MartinM

Bone2pick and Xoic like this.