Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

War at sea - galley vs sailing ship

Discussion in 'Research' started by Aldarion, Aug 21, 2019.

This is what I wrote as a result of my research on whether to use galleys or sailing ships as primary warships in my setting.

https://militaryfantasy.home.blog/2019/08/21/war-at-sea-galley-vs-sailing-ship/

To summarize:
    1) ramming is only really useful against hull-first construction ships, unless there is a massive weight advantage to a ship doing the ramming.
    2) once ramming stops being useful, sailling ships gain advantage in combat due to their height advantage, while galley remains useful for shore patrol and amphibious operations
    3) introduction of bronze cannon shifts advantage back to galley, as it can maneuver into position to bring bow-mounted armaments to bear
    4) introduction of iron cannon shifts advantage back to sailing ship, as they can mount massive number of cannons compared to galleys

2. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

Why doesn't this advantage work with bronze cannons?

3. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

Simply put, they are expensive. If you can arm a ship-of-the-line with bronze cannons, you probably should; but if that means your whole fleet consists of four ships, it is likely better to just have fewer pieces per ship, and more ships overall.

Also, I think I mentioned this in the article (but forgot to include in summary), early ships did not have gun ports. Which meant that galley, with its low freeboard, could fire at sailing ship's hull - essentially, galley's lower profile suddenly became advantage, instead of a disadvantage.

Bone2pick likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Iron cannons are lighter (and cheaper)

however its a little over simplistic because it depends on how individual ships are armed and the crews trained, wind conditions and a multiplicity of other things. The Danish Navy used galleys armed with a single 32 pounder cannon against the British during both battles of Copenhagen, and although the British 'won' a lot of the damage to the British ships was caused by being out manouvered by galleys.

The Barbary pirates off what is now Algeria also used to use armed galleys to overwhelm and then board sailing ships - naval vessels could usually beat them or hurt them badly enough to make them haul off, armed transports and merchant men were often beaten into submission

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

With my Mod hat on @Aldarion - the purpose of this section is for people to ask questions about topics they are seeking help with, it's purpose is not for you to promote your blog.

:closed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.