1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Novel ID needed

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by OurJud, Sep 16, 2019.

I’m trying to remember a book I read years ago about a group of friends forming an indie band in the 80s. It’s a British book with elements I may be confusing with an Iain Banks novel about a faded rock star. Anyway the book I’m thinking of starts in present day, on a beach in Spain where the narrator is with his wife and kid. The book then becomes one long back story as he tells us about how he formed this band in the 80s and the various ups and downs during that time.

Ring any bells for anyone? I think it may have gained cult status at the time.

2. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    If it became a television show or a movie?

For t.v., it *might* be what you're looking for - "Catwalk" it was a Canadian program about a group of teens that formed a band. Neve Campbell is the only name I remember from the series. I don't think it lasted more than one season as Neve moved to the USA to act and shortly afterwards joined the cast of "Party of Five."

The movie it reminds me of is "The Commitments."

I don't really think either of these are what you're referring to, but they are what I thought might fit the bill.

BTW: there is a website, "what's that book" or something similar where people can post descriptions of the books they are searching for and people usually can help locate the book. I can't remember the name of the site but a google search for "what's that book identification" or words to that effect might help.

OurJud likes this.
  3. OurJud

Thank you. As you suspected it was neither of those. I’ll try that website.

4. OurJud

I'm bumping this for anyone that missed it first time round, as it's still bugging me.

One scene I remember fondly was the MC going to the library to make photocopies for the cover of their demo tape.

Last edited: May 26, 2020