Tags:
  1. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté New Member

British Grade II listed things?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Noya Desherbanté, Dec 29, 2010.

Can anything other than a building be Grade II (or Grade I) listed? Such as a lake, or anything else?

Is there a very specific legal definition of something that is Grade II listed?

What kind of protection do antiquated human remains (like a mummy) fall under - are they antiques, can they be protected by the National Trust, or does their human status mean something else?

If you haven't guessed, I'm writing about a person who is so very old, they're granted protection, like a listed building. I thought Grade II listed person had a bit of an unusual ring to it, which I liked - but National Trust protection would be cool too. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this, which one a living thing would be most likely to fall under. :)

2. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Ha! A good question!

"Listing" of course was used as a mechanism during WWII for identifying elderly buildings of special interest that should be restored to their former glory if they were damaged by German bombing raids. I doubt that the Nazis ruined any lakes utilizing this method.

As for people? Well, I certainly feel that I should be fully restored as a priority if I fall victim to a stray bomb while walking down the street, so maybe I really ought to check out the possibility of being "listed"!

I'll let you know how that goes! ;)

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Look up the saga with the Brodie family and Brodie Castle there should be news articles it may help with your research.

Anything can be catalogued and given historical status if it has an historical event attached to it. I can't for the life of me remember the legal implications of it but remember being sworn at very loudly after assisting a team doing it lol....

The idea of a Grade II listed person is lovely lol National Trust Status has more credibility to it though.

4. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté New Member

Thanks you guys! :D

Elgaisma, that fits perfectly with the listed status if it has an attached historical event :) I'll look up Brodie Castle... and Halcyon, good luck with that! ;)