1. Virginia Slim

Virginia Slim New Member

Yorkshire in the glorious north of England

What did you call your grandparents

Discussion in 'Research' started by Virginia Slim, Mar 13, 2020.

Question for Americans. Currently writing a short story set in about 1960 about a teenager living with her grandparents. What would such a girl, born to an affluent Ohio family in the 1940s, call her grandparents? Grandma and Grandpa? Or something grander? (For the record, I was once an American girl born in the 1940s but my grandparents predeceased me.)

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Grandma and Grandpa were the most common ways of addressing grandparents when I was growing up in the 1950s and 60s in Michigan. Pronounced Gramma and Grampa ...the 'd' was silent.

Virginia Slim likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

A lot of it depends on nationality. My grandparents were first generation Italian Americans, so it was always Nonna and Poppa growing up (1980s). Gram and Gramps was also popular. German Americans would use Oma and Opa... I still hear that one a lot.

Grandpa and Poppa were kind of interchangeable, but every Italian grandmother is called Nonna. There were no exceptions to this that I can remember.

4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Yeah, grandma and grandpa, pronounced grammaw and grammpaw. I knew somebody who called his grandma Mammaw, but I've never heard anybody else say that. I also never heard his say anything about his grandfather, but I suppose that would be pappaw. But their family was extremely lower class.

5. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Addressed them as Gradma and Grandpa. Referred to them as Grandma and Grandpa Smith or Jones to differentiate between mother's parents and father's.

Virginia Slim and Catrin Lewis like this.
  6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Never knew my maternal grandparents. My paternals, oddly, I called by their first names. My dad was the first child of parents who were both on their second marriage, with kids already in tow, both sides. My dad grew up hearing those kids refer to his mom and dad by their first names. I followed suit.

I realize this post is pretty useless... sorry. :bigoops:

7. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I called my maternal grandma "Grandma [first name]" and my maternal grandpa as just "Grandpa"
    I called my paternal grand parents "Grandma and Grandpa [last name]"
    Although my maternal grandma didnt like this at all. she just wanted us to call her "Grandma"..... so we called her that to her face, but to others, we specified WHICH grandma we were talking about, and we'd revert back to calling her "Grandma [first name]"

8. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Maternal grandparents were Poppa and Nana.

Paternal grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa.

I've seen Opa and Oma used by pals. I have seen "Nonna" written down on a menu in an Italian restaurant - "Nonna's Meatballs" etc.

9. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Oh! I'd like to add that my mom called her grandparents "Grandpap" and "Granny"
    My dad called his grandmother "Granny" (he doesnt talk about his grandfathers, so i dont know what he called them)

10. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

My mom's parents were: Granma and Granpa
    My dad's parents were: Nanny and Pa

My parents are (to my niece): Grandma (my mom's name, it starts with a g and my brother wanted to call her G-Unit, but that offended her, so we don't call her that to her face); and Grandma (my stepmom's name) and Papa.

My sister in-law's parents are: Nana and Bump.

I'm Aunt Carl and my sister is Aunt Steve. Neither of which are our names. Mine, almost, but her's not even close.

11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well dead these days. :(
    But I used to call my grandpa George, Poppy.

SethLoki likes this.
  12. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

I'm a few years younger than the teenager you're writing, and I and my siblings directly addressed our grandparents as "Grandma" and "Grandpa." When we talked about them to our parents or each other, they were "Grandpa Smith, Grandma Smith," and "Grandma Jones, Grandpa Jones." (Made up names.)

Similar to what @jannert said, the actual pronunciation was more like "Gran'ma" and "Gran'pa." But that's the American Midwest for you.

EDIT: Just scrolled up and saw this is almost exactly what @Earp said, down to the fake names. So there you go.

13. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

I used to call them by their first name (patrilinial grandparents) because I didn't know them. My cousins called them Pops and Gran.

14. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    My paternal grandfather was over 6 feet tall, and my grandmother was probably in the mid 5 foot range but quite a "big-boned" woman. On the other hand, by maternal grandmother was perhaps technically a "little person," although her height had more to do with early nutrition than any genetic abnormality. She was 4 foot 9 or 10, and my grandfather was not too far over 5 feet tall.

Thus I had "Big Grampa" and "Big Gramma" on my dad's side and "Little Grampa" and "Little Gramma" on my mom's. It all lined up in my childhood mind, as my mom is 5 foot 1 and my dad is around 5 foot 10.

I just realized our male line has been shrinking for three generations. I'm about 5 foot 9.

flawed personality likes this.
  15. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Entirely unrelated, but I'm the tallest male ever on my dad's side at 5 foot 9... by like three inches. I'm a veritable giant!

16. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Gran and Grandad.

17. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

The English ones are and were Nanny and Granddad, respectively.

The Italians were Nona and Nonino.

My parents were born in the 50s, and those terms came from them. Nothing from the u.s.a though, which means this probably won't be helpful for you.

Cdn Writer and Virginia Slim like this.
  18. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

This reminds me that on reflection my last post was wrong. It wasn't Gran and Grandad, it was Nanna (not Nanny) and Grandad.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  19. al-khataei

al-khataei New Member

As a South Asian it was always Nana (Maternal Grandfather), Nani (Maternal Grandmother), Dada (Paternal Grandfather) and Dadi (Paternal Grandmother)

Cdn Writer likes this.