1. GentlemanVoleur

GentlemanVoleur New Member

From Self-Published to Traditionally Published?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by GentlemanVoleur, Feb 16, 2020.

I had a thought the other day and wondered how possible it is:
    Let's say I self-published my book for a while, a year and because I'm not a big name publisher, author or anything, sales are poor. Because of this I say "forget it, I want to have my self-published book re-published by an established company."

Is that possible? Would a publishing company touch a book that has been previously published before from the author (or even another publishing company)?

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It is possible, but by self publishing you have given up first rights, which makes it less likely that a trad company will be interested - the exception to that is if you are phenomenally successful, but tbh if you are you probably wouldn't be looking to change to trad anyway

GentlemanVoleur and J.D. Ray like this.
  3. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

It isn't going to happen. Traditional publishers want first publication rights, unless you are selling like gangbusters and they can sign you for a bunch of new books, they might reprint something you've previously written, but it's a really hard sell. Once you self-publish, you have pretty much doomed your books and they'll never find a legitimate traditional publisher.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    If you have huge sales figures then they might look your way.
    Otherwise I don't think they will touch it with a 10 ft. pole.

5. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter Contributor

This is the key to the entire thing right here. If I ever finish my WIP, I'm going to shop it to traditional publishers first. If I can't sell it, I'll publish it myself (Kindle, probably) and fight the marketing fight to get it noticed. I'd rather have someone else do that part and be able to continue writing, which I think I do better than I market. But like banks who only want to loan you money if you don't need it, publishers only want your pre-published work if you don't really need them.

Xoic likes this.
  6. Cephus

Today, traditional publishers don't really do a lot to market your work either. They expect you to carry a large part of the load.

7. J.D. Ray

What do they provide, then?

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

better access to bricks and mortar stores, no upfront costs for things like editing and covers which self pubbers have to pay for themselves, and sometimes an advance against royalties

J.D. Ray and Cave Troll like this.
  9. Cephus

Usually better access to brick-and-mortar bookstores and contacts within the publishing industry themselves. They do virtually nothing to get the word out about your book to end-buyers. It's really why most new authors never earn out of their advances. Most of their books are returned by bookstores because they didn't sell.

10. big soft moose

thers also a big variation in trad publishers - the experience at random penguin won't be the same as at Thomas and Mercer, and neither of them will be the same as some mom and pop operation based in west podunk

J.D. Ray likes this.
  11. J.D. Ray

What happens if an author gets an advance and the book doesn't earn it out? I presume the publisher takes the hit, writes off a loss, and moves on. If your assertion is true, and most new authors never earn out their advances, then this explains why publishers are reticent to take on new authors.

It seems to me that a new author's best bet is to write a novel, publish and market it themselves, prove their popularity, then pursue a traditional publisher for a second novel.

12. big soft moose

yep - that's why advances for an unknown these days vary from negligible up to about five grand... the days of five figure advances on your first book are long behind us.

also its important to be clear that its an advance on royalties - so you earn it out at your royalty rate (generally about 10%) so for an advance of 5k the publisher has to sell 50ks worth of books and they keep 45k of that, so even if you don't earn out they probably made money.

Having failed to earn out they then won't give you a deal on book 2.

13. big soft moose

Personally I self publish by choice - not because i'm pursuing a trad deal, but it is important to be clear that your chances of proving anything with one self published book are negligible... it takes money, time and energy to build a self publishing profile and its a bit of a waste doing that if you want to jump to trad.

If you aspire to a trad deal your best bet is to get a really good agent (which in itself isnt easy) and then they get you a decent book deal with a decent publisher

J.D. Ray likes this.
  14. J.D. Ray

I suspect my ideas about how traditional publishing works are outdated. I made a small foray into self publishing a few years ago, and only succeeded with one short because it was part of an Amazon program (now defunct) called "Kindle Worlds". I sold several hundred copies of the short, and was very pleased. But my entire earnings over two years of sales amounted to a few hundred dollars; great for a newbie, but not worth putting thousands of dollars into cover art, hiring an editor, advertising dollars, and the rest of the things you need to do if you're doing it yourself. Hence my thought that pursuing a traditional publisher was the answer for my (hopefully forthcoming) novel.

15. Cephus

I don't either. I had a trad deal and I turned it down. My agent, who is a long-time friend of mine, after I had gotten the offer, told me that I'd hate it. I agree entirely. Traditional publishing is not for me. They put out, at best, a book a year, with an average lead time of 18-24 months. Last year alone I wrote 6 books. I'm going to do the same thing this year. I might have to do all of the work, but I also make 70% of the royalties, as opposed to 10-15% for a trade publisher. They honestly do nothing for you, I don't give a damn about being in a bookstore because bookstore sales are a tiny percentage of overall sales (I just talked to a friend who was a former trade published author and he said that bookstores accounted for 1.7% of his overall sales and now he's going self-published). I want the control and I don't want anyone looking over my shoulder telling me what I should do. If I screw up, it's my fault. I take ownership of that.

J.D. Ray likes this.
  16. Cephus

That's just not the reality. For both trade and self-publishing, the name of the game today is repetition. You keep writing. Publishers want you to produce series that they can make residual money on and self-pub is pretty much the same. It is absolutely publish or perish today. You need to be able to keep up on a schedule, either self-imposed for self-pub, or mandated by a publisher, but for a publisher, if you don't perform, they stop publishing your work and you're out in the cold. Today, you can make a significant income by having a large back catalog and sticking with Kindle Select. Lots of page reads make plenty of money. You just need to be willing to produce quality product on a regular schedule. One or two short stories simply won't get you anywhere.

17. big soft moose

I'm in that ball park too - i did 5 in 2018 although two of them were novellas, only 3 in 2019 but I've stacked up the first drafts so i'm on target for 6 this year... there is no way i could work to a trad schedule

18. Cephus

Entirely agree. It's why Stephen King used to write under pseudonyms, it was the only way he could keep publishing around a traditional schedule.

19. GentlemanVoleur

GentlemanVoleur New Member

Thanks all for your answers, it's more or less what I suspected. Guess I really need to make up my mind on self or traditional publishing then since I cannot do both with the same book!

I have a follow up question that I have forgotten on my drive home, by this discussion is great! As soon as I remember it, I will post it :p.

20. J.D. Ray

This begs another question: for my current WIP, it's at least a two-part, possibly three-part story. Part one is written, and I'm going through the lengthy turd polishing phase. Note that I'm not at all an accomplished writer, at least in the fiction space, and this is my first work of significant size. I thought about publishing Part One as a standalone novella (~50K words), then follow it with the second and third Parts. The devil on my other shoulder told me to wait until the entire novel is finished and publish then.

I'm an unknown author with limited time, resources, and skill (developing the latter). There's no way I could crank out multiple novels in a year at this stage of the game. Perhaps in retirement (ten or so years hence) two per year, but no more. I could maybe publish three or four ~10K word short stories, but that's about it.

So, in your view, should I publish my novel in parts or as a whole?

21. big soft moose

I'd publish it as a whole

I'm 46 and working a full time post btw

J.D. Ray likes this.
  22. Cephus

I'd publish the whole thing. And I work full time too and still write multiple novels a year.

23. J.D. Ray

It's not just the full time job that impacts my ability to spend time writing, but it's good to hear the people achieve both. The more I write, the better I get at it. I will get more productive going forward.

Cave Troll likes this.
  24. Cephus

That's exactly how it works. The more you do, the better you get and the better you get, the more you produce. If I hadn't been doing this for decades, I never would be able to write at the volume I write at.

HeathBar and J.D. Ray like this.
  25. big soft moose

yep - my first book took two years to first draft - my most recent took 21 days

J.D. Ray, Cephus and HeathBar like this.