1. Penny1234

Penny1234 Member

Writing a story based in France.

Discussion in 'Research' started by Penny1234, Feb 24, 2019.

Hey,
    so I've been working on my book for a while.
    It follows an English journalism student who moves to the south of France to begin her dream course. (and a lot of other drama.)

However having come up with the idea after visiting a beautiful village in Greece of all places, I have never actually visited France, nor do I speak French.
    I guess my question would be, what cultural differences or differences in 'Uni' life would help me capture the true essence of France in my story.
    One of the main characters is from a very strict, affluent family. Where image is everything.

So if anyone has any advice or experience that would be great!

2. BBQPorkbelly

BBQPorkbelly Banned

Well, if you have never been to France or speak French, then you write in third person. If you write in first person, then the story will sound like you want the authoritative voice of an actual French native, and people should believe your voice as the voice of a real French native. If you write in third person, then you tell the reader that the main character is not you. The main character is someone else, and the entire story is based on your imagination of what French life is like or what the French language is like. You can imagine that your character is speaking in French and learning French ways, but the Frenchness is just part of the aesthetic. If the work is translated into French to a native-French-speaking audience, then your translator may have to adjust some cultural references and English-based idioms for the French-speaking audience in France.

What does this mean to you? Your fictional France is not real France. It is not meant to portray real France, French ways, or the French language. Similarly, you may write a work about an English student who goes to China to study International Business. Your fictional China is not real China. It is not meant to portray real China, Chinese ways, or the Chinese language. However, if you make your story set in "China", how you portray the people matters. When the English language only has 2 words related to China - "China" and "Chinese" - there is a problem. This is one of the main reasons why Westerners do not understand China. When Westerners insist on translating 汉语 (a word that is neither singular nor plural) as "Chinese languages", there is a problem. It suggests that a person who speaks 广东话/粤语 is not part of 汉语 and 汉人. When English translates 汉人 as "Chinese", you have a problem. The English concept of ethnicity does not work for these people known in English as "Chinese people". 民族 may be translated into English as "ethnicity", but the exact same word is used in 中华民族, a word that lumps Han people and 55 ethnic minorities as one people. What should 民族 be translated into now? Race? Nope, the Western concept of race doesn't work either, and there is a specific Chinese word for the Western concept of race - 种族. When English speakers focus heavily on pronunciation over the writing, you also have a problem. A native in China may have no clue WTF you're talking about if you say "gyoza", but if you present the word 饺子 in Simplified or Traditional form, that person will know what you are talking about. All your basic experiences in Western culture really cannot be applied to "China".

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

That's really nice about China.

But why doesn't the OP go to France?

There's plenty of English writing about cultural difference re the Rosbifs v Gallic romantics. 'A Year in the Merde' was great fun reading, for example? I think the project requires some immersion, even if you're only asking Uni students about their year placements.

Go to France.

4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I say go to France as well. If I could be there right now, I would. It's a wonderful place for writers and lovers.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. Penny1234

Penny1234 Member

I know I wish I had, I've only ever driven through France (twice actually) to get to Germany. At the moment travelling it not an immediate option, (hashtag poor graduate) but I do know friend's who have been, so I will start there! Shame I've visted a lot of Europe too. One of my favourite fantasy novels follows a French guy (but was set in Britain.) and I just fell in love. Then when I went to greece, I could picture the town I wanted to create.
    Pinterest is also a big help, I've create a board of french villages, but nothing will compare to the real thing.

but hey, see where the world takes me

Oscar Leigh and matwoolf like this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I would definitely go to France, if I were you. Since you seem to have traveled to Europe already, why not make it a point to do so? If you travel with an eye and ear out for what your story can use, you'll be the much richer for it. Trying to make it all up based on a visit to Greece (which is not much like France at all) seems a bit skewed. Just go to France!

Pick a university town in the south of France, go there, spend a week or two staying in the area and picking up vibes. You can find out what the town is like, what the bars, cafes and shops are like, and if you can, you can even go inside some of the university buildings to have a look. Pay attention to everything—looks, sounds, smells, etc. (Even better if you can do it at a time when the university is in session.) You'll have a much clearer picture in your mind at the end of that.

And by all means, start to learn the language! Your character will probably need/want to do that. You don't have to be any more fluent than he or she will be, but at least get started. I confess to being a little bit surprised that an English journalism student would go to study in France. Why? Will she be learning to write news stories in English? In French? I don't think I'm getting the picture here. I could understand if she was going to study French history, or something unique to France. But journalism? Doesn't make much sense to me, at least not on the surface. Hmmm....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Oscar Leigh and Shenanigator like this.
  7. Penny1234

Penny1234 Member

I see your point, she was half French and half British, (living in England) and about to move to a prestigious 'Fictional' college in the town her grandmother grew up in. She would have learnt/wrote in French.

Except I have decided against basing it in France at all. I've taken it out completely. Instead I've set my fictional village on the south coast of the uk. Something familiar where I've been and experienced, plus I have friends down there. Its realistic giving the beach side village image I want and has no language barriers. I do have a few 'new' bugs to smooth and some rewriting to do but I'm sure I'll get there. I was partly sad to see my french element go but as I said earlier, right now I don't have the funds to go and I feel like I can't do it the justice France or my book deserves!
    Maybe one day I can pay a visit and get inspired all over again.

But thanks for the advice.
    :) - Penny

Oscar Leigh, jannert and Shenanigator like this.
  8. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Book 2: She vacations in France. :)

9. matwoolf

Bournemouth sounds about right for a 'Journalism' degree. [Evil]

Oscar Leigh, Hammer and jannert like this.
  10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

That sounds much more do-able. Aside from the lack of language barrier, you've been there and have a feel for the place. Plus, if she's studying journalism (a writing profession) in an English-speaking place, that makes sense as well—if she plans to eventually work for an English-language publication. The fact that you have friends there, to answer any questions, is a real bonus. I suspect this is a good change of direction for you.

Penny1234 and Shenanigator like this.
  11. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I am happy to spend a few months in the South of France doing research if the OP wants to sponsor it. Toulouse would be a great place for the protag to study, although there is a great little fish restaurant in Antibes... (as it happens I did write about 20-30,000 words of my first book from a campervan in the South of France. Being in the South of France helped because... well because I love the South of France - all of it really, but especially the South. And the East, down by the Alps)

Bournemouth - meh; not so much. I go there a lot to visit little Hammer who is just finishing his studies (chiropractic). Great place, but the croissants aren't as good.

12. Penny1234

Penny1234 Member

Haha, I agree, I can't see the crossaints being better in Bournemouth somehow.
    Whilst Bournemouth was a good suggestion for ideas. The village/town in my story is completely fictional and needs to be for key components of the story. Mostly for the background of my second MC. (Its a fantasy/adventure plot.) I only need the univeristy and journalism degree as part of a subplot.
    Earlier I was actually regarding places like Devon and Cornwall. Including villages like Tynemouth and Cawsand. which in their own right are thoroughly beautiful places.
    Hopefully, a visit to friends in Tynemouth is now on the cards.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. Penny1234

Penny1234 Member

Fair enough slight error in my geography skills. The rest doesn't matter because its a fictional place with its own fictional univeristy. The rest is simply inspiration.

matwoolf likes this.
  14. matwoolf

I never said that, I deleted my comment.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

We've tapped into an alternate reality here!!

Penny1234 likes this.