1. AliceSpice

AliceSpice Banned

What do I do...?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AliceSpice, Jul 22, 2016.

I've taken a lot of hallucinogens and I've somehow managed to convince myself that I should write about myself and just life in general and about how objects emerge from without...? But, then, what am I? Am I Shakespeare, is Shakespeare just a breed off of you? Certainly, a mild form of autism appears to be the case, but you are a star, right, Ally...?!? Allllllyyyyyy....?! Someone shall help the miss...?

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Stop taking the pills.

There's a saying, attributed to Hemingway, "Write drunk, edit sober", implying that drunk is when we're most creative, but sobriety is required to turn that gold into better gold. Certainly, I had getting drunk to write suggested to me, and a lot of musicians have used a lot of chemicals in their search for inspiration (if there was a pop music gold medal at the Olympics, they'd all fail the drugs test!) but it's more than likely that it just creates incoherent ramblings; and those incoherent ramblings are mistaken for profundity by people who don't dare point out that it's pretentious rubbish; and another legend is born...
    http://goinswriter.com/write-drunk/

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Um.... you may want to cut back on the hallucinogens just a tad. Getting addicted to drugs and/or alcohol won't make you a bestseller; they'll just kill you later on in life, or ruin it and leave you a screwed up mess of guilt, regret, and self-hatred as your health deteriorates. It's not worth it. I know it probably feels good for that brief bit of time but it just isn't.

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Judging by what I've seen of your writing on this forum - yeah. Cut back on your intake of anything that interferes with your ability to focus and write clearly.

etherealcalc likes this.
  5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Plus, you know the real reasons those authors drank/did drugs? Because they were suffering from a psychological issue (ie, chronic depression for example) and were using alcohol/drugs and writing to medicate. Hemingway, as we all should remember, committed suicide. He was treating his depression with drinks and writing, that's what kept him together so of course he would champion it.

etherealcalc likes this.
  6. AliceSpice

AliceSpice Banned

Thank you. So many sages going out of their way to help out a puny wimp like me; my intake of hallucinogens shall be settled down. This place is wonderful. Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to pursue a writing-focused English degree?

7. Shadowfax

If you'd followed the link, Link (I just had to slip that in!), you'd have seen that it's a misconception that he said it and, more so, that he did it.

8. BWriter

BWriter Member

I am doing an English and Creative Writing degree and for me it has been great. I've been introduced to and tried loads of new things with writing because of it. I don't think anyone can answer whether you should take one though, thats on you. Only you know how you work and where you want to go.

9. Shadowfax

Check out some pre-condensed opinions.

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/i-am-opposed-to-creative-writing-courses-of-all-types.147357/page-3#post-1469388

ETA: It all comes down to what you want a degree for.

My daughter got a history degree, bummed around a bit before going back and getting a more vocational degree in job that she now loves.

An acquaintance got a history degree, became an accountant.

If you're planning to get a Creative Writing degree and get a career as a creative writer, you're probably in for a disappointment; the market's a bit saturated with people with first class honours (with scars!) from the University of Life.

If you're planning to get a fairly general degree (history is one of those) and then use it to get into the job you really want, fine.

10. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Lots of drugs in your early twenties damages your mental health: a volatile time of life - as it is, with relationships, personal identity, jobs, a roof over your head to consider. So many drugs you become alienated from your peers is a dangerous pathway...

And some people go for that Shulgin [chemistry] or Boroughs [literature] lifestyle, a frontiersman kind of fantasy - at your peril.

Go for it, stage two is Alesteir Crowley, the new world order, witchcraft...possibly folk music [theory].

Stage three - busking, a guitar, conspiracies in every doorway, police relationship, solo, the hostel to sleep in.

Best stay at home, and have babies somehow.

11. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Mat, I love the way you live your life through unreasonable and unexamined
    preconceptions and stereotypes. Now take some pills, get some rest and be a
    good little consumer.

12. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I suppose so, @Solar. Go get your bluelight x.

13. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Actually I use Flux to help me maintain a healthy circadian rhythm.

matwoolf likes this.