1. mootz

mootz Member

Sci-fi Contest Question

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mootz, Mar 20, 2012.

Yes, I know there was a thread regarding the contest that was closed. That thread was targeting the question of what happened to the Sci-Fi subforum, which has since been restored for people to see. Though, nothing can be posted in the subforum.

This thread is about the contest in general. Specifically, what--if anything at all--is going on with the contest?

Seriously, a month has passed. By now we should know who the finalist are, or at the very least, when it will be announced when the finalists will be. I hate to be a guy who ruffles feathers, but I hate being in the dark for this long, and I know that everyone involved with the contest must feel exactly the same.

If there is some email, thread or post that others have gotten regarding this topic--this specific topic--I haven't seen it. The time has come for some sort of answers.

2. casperpearl

casperpearl New Member

I was wondering about this as well. Seems weird that nothing has really been said about the contest. Even when the contest crashed, or whatever happened, I never received a reply to my queries about what was going on or a message stating everything was back online. I don't think it's out-of-line to expect an update every now and then.

3. Jowettc

Jowettc New Member

Patience. If you submit regularly to a magazine or contests, they often offer advice along the lines of.."Please be patient - we may take up to 60 days to respond to your submission."

Everyone is busy and in writing often you a) never hear back or b)it takes a surprising amount of time before you do.

I am sure we will hear when we hear - and it was free so...you know lets rely on the good nature and will of the judges to be thorough and decent in their treatment of all the works submitted.

4. casperpearl

casperpearl New Member

As someone who regularly submits to magazines and contests and agents and publishers, I know it's a waiting game, but they do tell you up front how long it may take. That is the difference here. We were never given an estimate, and with the temporary disappearance of the contest and not a single word mentioned about it, and now the silence, it seems like there’s an elephant in the room.

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I shall endeavour to find out for you.

6. RageAgainst

RageAgainst New Member

The difference with this is we dont know what is going on at all. Like we dont even know if they were submitted for judging as many were unable to fully post their work.

7. casperpearl

casperpearl New Member

Just curious if there are any new updates on the contest? Last I heard the public voting was supposed to begin two weeks ago.

8. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

From reading the original submission thread I do believe the 2012 SciFi contest has stopped taking submissions. There are other contests still open but there are no prizes. I believe the larger contests occur regularly though not that often. What the theme will be is unknown.

9. casperpearl

casperpearl New Member

Thanks for the reply Super, but I did enter the contest. There was an announcement made two weeks ago that the next step would happen that week but nothing has been mentioned since.

10. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Glad you got in before the dead line then. I know he's been in here at night reading the stories.

11. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

Before, we were waiting for all of the stories to get fully posted (as there were some posting problems). Since Daniel's latest announcement a few weeks ago, all of the stories have been fixed, and now we are waiting for all the judges to read the stories and for them to decide on the final five.

It's moving, but just very slowly.