What Do You Connect With More?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by lilix morgan, May 9, 2011.

?

Which POV do you connect/enjoy more?

Poll closed May 23, 2011.
  1. I enjoy first person POV more in a book.

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. I enjoy third person POV more in a book.

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. I enjoy both POVs equally, just in separate books.

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  4. I enjoy a mix of both first and third POV in the same book.

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

The problem might just be that few writers do omni povs well, and those few are not usually the amateur manuscripts you see that are often inadvertently employing an omni pov. Point being, a POV isn't anything a writer doesn't do with it.

2. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Which is interesting. I utterly, utterly loathe the present tense for fiction. If I'm browsing in a bookshop then I'll put a book down immediately if I see that the whole thing is in narrative present. To me it seems childish and amateurish.

3. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Intentionally ironic? Now, I'm not saying it's childish and amateurish to pre-judge a book on something like tense alone. I'm saying to me it seems childish and amateurish to call a craft element childish and amateurish based on something that is purely a personal perspective and preference.

You're entitled to your opinions/preferences, of course, but also keep in mind a lot of writers reading might write in present tense. To be called amateurish, even indirectly, because you just don't personally like something?

I get you were probably just expression how much you dislike that tense. But I think 'loathe' did the job well, being more about expressing how you feel, than 'childish and amateurish' which seems more a judgment on others and those who may choose to write in such a tense.

I dunno, not personally offended or anything. Just think we could probably take care to express how we feel about something personally without crossing over that line into pretty severe judgements on what others may be doing or what to be doing in their writing.

Not to mention, it personally seems to me in my opinion for myself that your judgments are a load of crap. Childish and amateurish writing is childish and amateurish. A writer does themselves a disservice to have such blanket expectations or judgments for any craft element of a story. If ALL present tense is seen as this way to you--if ALL any element of narrative design seems a certain way to you--then I might suggest you revisit it, try your hardest to keep an open mind, and really focus on tell the reader inside you to shut up for a moment as the writer tries to figure out if you judgements as a reader are serving your best interests overall.

And like I said, all writers/readers/people are entitled to their opinions and judgments, and I'm not suggesting we take that away, just that perhaps more care can be taken in how we express that. And that it seems me that if any one element of a story/craft design ever always seems one way to a writer, especially such negative ways, the only thing childish and amateurish going on is in the way that writer seems to be limiting themselves.

4. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Just as well I didn't do that, then. It's useful for a writer to know the difference between "It is" and "To me it seems". One is a statement of absolute fact, the other is an expression of subjective effect. Can you tell which is which?
    Glad to see you put the "if" in there. It isn't, so the rest doesn't apply.