1. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

A faulty bird

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mans, Jun 21, 2014.

This morning, when I was going to work, I noticed that something hit the front of my car. After I went a few meters further, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a bird in the middle of the road. I stopped immediately, got out, and went to that little bird. I picked it up off the ground and, like a doctor, I examined it carefully. It wasn't hurt, but it was a little dizzy. I wished that I had a bottle of Acetaminophen syrup to give it for the pain, but sadly, I didn't have any. I put the bird in the shade of a tree beside the road. That place was cool and comfortable, but I was worried that there might be cats nearby. I just prayed that there were no cats around, and I left the bird there. I was faultless in that accident. It was the bird's fault for failing to see something as big as the car moving down the road.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I know, it always feels bad when you accidentally hurt an animal or bird, doesn't it? Unfortunately collisions with cars are so common.

If the bird was just stunned, it may well have recovered after a little rest in the shade and flown away. If you had just left it lying in the road, somebody else would have hit it and killed it for sure, so you probably saved its life.

Birds fly into the windows of our house all the time. Some do not recover (especially if they've broken their necks) but most of them do. Again, I always go out to see what I can do, and move them into the shade if need be, give them a little bowl of water to drink. Sometimes when the weather is cold, I cover them up with something like shredded tissue to keep them warm. Most of the time I go out a little bit later on, and the bird is gone. No sign of any struggle or any cat. So I guess they were okay.

Mans likes this.
  3. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

I hope it was not an owl! :eek:

4. Mans

You write English very good. I like your writing. The sentences, phrases and punctuation that you used are very useful for me. I will reread your comment to memorize them, because I need to improve my English

Thank you

5. Mans

:) No, it wasn't. It was a sparrow

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'm glad you tried to help the bird. Most people wouldn't have done that. Good for you!

7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I had a similar experience - bumping a black cat on a quiet country highway. I was, obviously, in quite some emotional distress myself, and parked up the Land Rover, searched, looked abouts for the little fellow, but I was unable to find the body, remains even, of any kind. But then, there he was - the blighter must have crawled to the shade of a Eucalyptus tree. I realised too, hearing his mew, how he must have been in some pain, and taking a house brick from the dirt I did what any man would do in such remote circumstances, dispatching the creature humanely. Returning to the road side, and there I saw another black cat limping long the highway, circumstances that have confused me to this day.

mw@urbancliche.com

123456789 likes this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

:eek:

9. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

*ducks, covers and waits for the fallout.*

10. obsidian_cicatrix

I was driving back from Dublin late one night when a rabbit ran out ahead of me and froze in the middle of my lane. It was a small country road, barely enough room for two cars to pass each other and another car was oncoming. I couldn't even take a risk and swerve into the verge as there was a problem with subsidence and the car would have ploughed head-on into a water-filled gully endangering my four passengers. I had to make the conscious choice to run over the poor creature. Even now I can hear the crunch as it hit my bumper and license plate. It still makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.

You did your best, Mans. And that's all anyone can ask of you. But, that said, it was hardly the birds fault either. It's not like they understand the concept of velocity and distance travelled.

11. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

You made me cry

12. obsidian_cicatrix

Oh you git! I still can't watch that movie... I was emotionally scarred by it as a child. :p

matwoolf likes this.