1. Stupid-Face

Stupid-Face New Member

Suggestions of books?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Stupid-Face, Aug 27, 2012.

I have a few story lines in my head that I'm planning out and I was wondering if anyone can give suggestion of fiction that are similar so then I can see what others have written, how they've written it and how they've made the characters believable, etc, etc.

My first storyline is a group of super humans who were captured for testing and escaped, they later go into war with ordinary humans, the super humans want full on equality but the humans see them as pests that need to be exterminated.

My second story line is an alien boy on a space pirates ship, curious about his ancestry that was completely wiped out by another species of aliens. He meets two aliens who look like his own kind, but are actually the species that killed his kind.

I'm really hoping someone gives me a suggestion, if not then some advice on the story idea?

If someone does help me highlydoubtit then thank you!

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Well, the first plotline sounds quite similar to the Khan/Augments plotline in Star Trek (The Original Series/The Wrath of Khan/Enterprise)

3. Stupid-Face

Stupid-Face New Member

I shall try and watch that in secret then, ahahah. (My fiance hates star trek)

4. TrinityRevolution

TrinityRevolution New Member

You're first idea had me thinking X-Men.

But your second idea has potential I reckon (sifi nut).

I'm just wondering how you'd bring closure to your second idea. I think at the very least, he should end up finding some of his own people, whether they escaped during the invade and now live on another planet, or have been captured and now live as slaves on a different pirate vessel and/or planet.

5. Stupid-Face

Stupid-Face New Member

The first one is inspired by X-men a lot (I can sadly admit that, I'm a bit of a fan.) But I have been trying to change it to make it my own story, such as there is none of the school for x-men or a brotherhood or anything on that part; which is why it sort of surprised me when Banzai said it reminded them of Star Trek (in a good way.)

I was planning on letting him go back to his old home planet before making a decision on finding his own kind and eventually finding one of his kind.

6. luna claire

luna claire Member

Well, the first one reminded me of X-Men and the tv series, Heroes. I haven't really read anything along those lines but I think, not a 100% sure about this, there is a series of YA novels about a people with superpowers. Maximum Ride, I think by James Patterson.
    The second brought several animes to mind. Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe and Dragonball Z, which don't really have much in common with your idea but Tenchi deals with space pirates and space travel and Dragonball Z's main character finds out he is an alien from a planet that was destroyed shortly after he was sent away as an infant, so I'm not really any help there. Sorry. Both of your ideas are very interesting, though. :)

7. Stupid-Face

Stupid-Face New Member

I FORGOT ABOUT HEROES (I used to watch the first series and I met some of the cast in a comic expo). I have heard of Maximum Ride when I was younger but I was told was rubbish, I'll try and get it out of the library to see for myself >:)
    Apparently, my fiance loves Tenchi so I know what to watch when we have proper internet! I did used to watch Dragonball Z when I was really young (my uncle and brother loved it) so I guess that's where I got that whole idea from, whoops.

I would really love to try and avoid making the same sort of storylines as others.

8. TrinityRevolution

TrinityRevolution New Member

I assume it's inevitable in some way, creating similar story lines that is. There's only so many concepts to go around.

As long as a character has an element of depth, I don't mind when reading things that remind me of other stories. Hell, I love zombie movies and TV shows. All of them basically have the same ideas yet I love them and I'm always left wanting more.

9. Stupid-Face

Stupid-Face New Member

Yeah, I know a lot of well known books are obviously inspired by other story lines, I always try and get my stories inspired by loads of different stories. :)