1. Slappydappy

Slappydappy New Member

Are there any good books on plottng?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Slappydappy, Jan 4, 2012.

I've noticed that I am able to come up with themes, antagonistic forces, characters, beginnings and endings. I've come up with interesting scenes, battles, and trials for my characters. One thing I've noticed though is I am not good at plotting and I find myself lost and confused with the myriad of simultaneous events and plots. Sometimes I find myself unable to tie my themes and conflicts to plots.

I've read books on theory, act structure, and conflict. However, I've never read anything specifcally on plotting my works. Mapping it all out to perfection, with precise timing. I know there must be a skill to it. I can feel it as I find myself with holes and empty space in my books (or too much crammed at once). Or when my characters have nothing to "do".

Is there any great resources on learning how to plot a book? I fnd it easier when I am working on a screenplay, because there are less characters and events. But on the novel I am writing, I find it much harder.

I order most of my books off Amazon.

2. louis1

louis1 Member

lol you're the exact opposite of me, i have no problem plotting my story but I struggle much more with scenes, battles, and trials.
    i think, the main key to plotting is knowing where you're going and where you start.
    then all you have to ask yourself is, ''what if... ''
    and after a good numbers of ''what if'' questions you should be getting to the end you planned. i think so. but don't quote me on that.

3. Shadoe

Shadoe New Member

I think Holly Lisle has some online courses on plotting. I believe one of them is still free. Googling her name should take you there.

There are tons of books on plotting. Not sure which ones might work for you.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

If you have characters in a situation, just write. Don't worry too much about plot. Plot will happen. If you're trying to do a connect-the-dots, three-act structure that you learned from a book, you'll probably bore the reader because it'll be just like everything else they've ever read.

Trust your own creativity. Forget the how-to books - they're mostly useless. Write.

5. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

I find it better to read the books that present the psychology of writing rather than those that tell you how to write. Try these:

"The Art of Dramatic Writing" - Lajos Egri
    "The Art of Fiction ... " and "On Becoming a Novelist" by John Gardner

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of that!