1. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto New Member

Manuscriot formatting and style guids?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by LuminousTyto, Aug 4, 2012.

Some publishers and competitions on the net require the writer to use a certain style guide when submitting work to them. I have the Chicago Manual of Style but I need the New york Times style manual too. Unfortunately I live in Ecuador and if I were to purchase it and then have it shipped down here it'd cost me a frakken fortune! Is there a way I can maybe download a digital short version of this manual for free (legitimately)?

Okay on to my next question. Formatting my manuscript. I don't know much about it. Is there a universal way to do it? I know that there's supposed to be 1 inch margins on the right, left, top and bottom and that the text needs to be double spaced. The rest I've been guessing ,: /

What font do I use and what size? I THINK it's courier and roman 11-12 point fonts, but I dunno. Is Times New Roman allowed as well? Should I separate paragraphs or jut indent them? How bout italics? are those allowed or are they supposed to be underlined?

I know a chapter break starts on the next page, but a scene break is supposed to be spaced by a soft space or hard space or what? Actually I don't even know what soft/hard spaces are lol. I'm guessing a soft space is 2 space bars and a hard is 4 no?

eergh! Anybody know the answers to these questions or know a good link with an article (that's not out dated) that has the answers I'm looking for?

Thanks

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

William Shunn's site is the best all-around reference for manuscript format: Short Story Format Novel Format

However, also check each individual publisher's submission guidelines, and follow their recommendation whenever it differs from the general standards.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yup, that!

4. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Do the chapter's need to be named and listed Part 1, etc etc or is that for books that use parts to separate acts, or other items?

5. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto New Member

Chapters are always separated with either titles or numbers.

6. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

I knew that, I just didn't know if they had to be named. All chapters need to have Chapter X when you change.

7. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto New Member

Nah they don't need to be named. I've seen chapters break in five different ways.

Chapter One
    Chapter Two

One
    Two

I've seen it done with numerals: 1, 2, 3, etc.

I've seen it done with titles.

The Dark Forest
    Blah Blah's Demise

And finally I've seen chapters begin simply with a characters name, which is one of my favorite ways!

Jack
    Dave
    Captain Kate

lol

Anyways those are all the way's I've seen chapters begin and I like them all except with numerals.

8. MeganHeld

MeganHeld New Member

Check the company's websites for specifications. Each site will either say follow the standard formatting, which is what the others posted, or they will produce their own specifications.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You can simply use the heading Chapter to denote an anonymous chapter. That serves to make the chapter break apparent in manuscript.