Tags:
  1. Dull Eyes

Dull Eyes New Member

What do you think of my idea for a story?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Dull Eyes, Mar 19, 2010.

A college student meets a man who stands out from anyone else named Vincent. This Vincent, also called "Dull Eyes", has the ability to manipulate space and is somewhat of a philosopher. It is fairly episodic in nature and Vincent eventually gives the protagonist the option to enter a fake paradise for a temporary time period, which is decided by Vincent. This paradise does more harm than good as that world is absolutely perfect, and to simply leave that world causes people to go mad and become delusional. Vincent does not want that fate for the protagonist as he grows to like the hero of the story and does not want for him/her to enter "paradise" and suffer its after-effects as many have done before, as the happiness it offers is not real, and temporary. To expand on the themes of the story, what I meant was not for Vincent to sound negative but rather a tragic character. He is a man who thrives on the approval of others, mostly because of the fact that his power makes him lonely and he begins to feel disillusioned about what reality was and what were the worlds he created, which became reality to him. He knows the fates of those enter "paradise" but cannot say anything because he simply does not want to remain lonely, if only for a limited time. It shows the negative aspects of one who has omnipotence and the isolation one feels when they have it. He divides his own psyche into eight different parts and each controls a part of his world and only hold Vincent’s same power in that realm. The main antagonist is a rogue copy that starts to rebel against Vincent after the nature of Vincent’s world has changed. His original goal was to destroy everyone who Vincent who made him he was, but he deviates from his goal for much more sinister ambitions. His name is No. 4. It also explores the concept of the individual and how unique one can become in such a populous world. I want to downplay the psychological aspects to not make it blatant and not make Vincent a pussy that everyone grows to hate like a character in a show I won't mention.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

you can't sell story ideas, only completed mss...

4. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Also, formatting. What you posted, that's called a wall of text. Break it up with some paragraphs if you expect people to read it.