1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Photojournalist and Novelist?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by aimi_aiko, Apr 12, 2011.

I'm just curious, is it possible to be a photojournalist and a novelist? No matter what, I definitely want to write novels, but I plan on majoring in photojournalism.

Would I have time to do both? Would this be possible? Are any of you experiencing or have experienced the same?

2. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Do whatever you want to do, aimi_aiko! It's your life so do it your way. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it - if someone says "No" then go ahead and prove them wrong. If you try it and find out you don't have time for both then at least you can say you tried, rather than giving up one of the two things you want to do just because someone thinks you won't be able to manage it. One of the great things about novel-writing is that you can do it alongside almost anything.

3. flanneryohello

flanneryohello New Member

Of course it's possible.

Keep in mind, though, that you've got your sights set on two careers that aren't exactly easy to get into and/or earn a living wage by doing. Photojournalism jobs are on a rapid decline due to the massive numbers of newspapers and magazines that are folding due to the rising popularity of digital media--and that will only get worse, not better. Also, the growing trend for news outfits to use amateur photography/video footage (i.e. CNN's iReport) will only further erode the need for professional photojournalists.

Earning a living wage as an author is probably more possible than ever, due to the rise of self-publishing, but it's still not easy. You've got to have a talent for writing, but you also need a bit of luck. There are plenty of excellent authors out there who work day jobs because they can't live on their royalties alone.

I'd definitely encourage you to follow your passion, since I believe the luckiest people are those who are able to do what they love, but I also think you should consider a back-up plan in a field where jobs are plentiful. Otherwise you will very likely spend years flipping burgers while you try to make your other dreams a reality. There's nothing wrong with gaining some real-world skills, just in case.

(This is coming from a web developer and traditionally published author who is working toward the goal of being able to write full-time one day)

4. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

thank you!!!!!

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I'm a journalist and I write novels...none of the novels are published (or finished lmao) but I still have time to write. :)

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

of course it's possible... whether or not you have the time and ability to do both is up to you...