1. Raffa

Raffa New Member

Question [Solved] What forum is best for test reading and reviewing?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Raffa, Aug 14, 2019.

It may be just me for not finding it but which forum is best to post my work for a test audience and constructive criticism?
    Genre is mainly Fantasy with a flair of Horror and Drama.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi there, Raffa, and welcome to the forum. I'm one of the moderators here.

First of all, to answer your question, it will make a difference whether you're writing short stories or a novel.

If it's a novel, there is only one place to put your excerpt or chapter ...that's the Novel section of the Workshop. The novel section isn't divided into genres.

The Short Story section of the Workshop IS divided into genres, so browse it, look at what other people have posted, and then decide where yours fits the best.

HOWEVER....

Before you post any of your work, there are some requirements you must meet.

1) You must be a member here for two full weeks.

2) You must make at least 20 posts around the forum.

3) You must do two constructive critiques for each item of your own that you post for critique. This ratio isn't just for new members. The 2-for-1 ratio applies as long as you are a member of the forum.

Check out our New Member Start Guide for more details. New Member Quick Start

While you're filling in your two weeks and making friends while posting on the threads, you might as well get started doing critiques. It's a good idea to get a backlog of critiques under your belt. It gives members a chance to get to know you, it gives you some practice doing for others what you hope they'll do for you. And by analysing the work of others, you'll learn quite a bit about what makes a piece work (or not work.)

This link might be of help:
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

I would also encourage you to read the general rules of the forum, which covers general behaviour. Forum Rules

As you visit sections of the forum, you will notice 'sticky threads' at the top of the opening page of the section. Some of these contain rules that pertain only to that section, so check them out as well.

And if you want links to 'everywhere' on the forum, just click on this:
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

You might want to visit the New Member Introductions section and introduce yourself to the forum. This isn't a requirement, but it sometimes gets you noticed. Just go here—https://www.writingforums.org/new-member-introductions/ — start a new thread, and tell us about yourself.

Have fun getting to know us, and letting us get to know you! If you encounter any problems, just click my owl avatar, 'start a conversation' with me, and I'll be glad to help, if I can.

Cheers, Jan

Raffa likes this.
  3. Raffa

Raffa New Member

Thanks a bunch!

jannert likes this.
  4. jannert

No problem. All that should keep you hopping for a couple of weeks, eh? :)

5. Raffa

Raffa New Member

Tbh, I've been procrastinating by world-building, songs and poems, mythology and lots short stories meant as character insights for me. The main event is still in the works :oops:

jannert likes this.
  6. jannert

Well, for many of us, this forum should be renamed Procrastinators Inc (or Ink?) So you're in good company.

Raffa likes this.