1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Does my story synopsis switch genres too much?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Ryan Elder, Nov 21, 2015.

I was told by a writing consultant that read it, that it switches genres half way through, and that readers are not going to like that.

Basically the first half is sort of a race against time plot to stop a kidnapper/serial killer type. Then halfway through about, the efforts all go wrong, innocent people are hurt, and the MC wants revenge on the villain for the rest of the story and plots revenge.

So it goes from a police procedural and espionage genre, in the first half, to a revenge tragedy in the last lalf. But I was told I can pick one for a story, but not have both, cause it's too much of a switch in tone and genre, for readers to accept. Do you think this is true though? I think the genre can be the same, even though the plot takes a new turn.

Or is this plot turn, too different, that it actually switches the genre?

2. LemonadeLover

LemonadeLover Member

I'm not sure if anyone could actually give you a proper answer until they read what you've written, however, I don't believe that it's a problem as long as they're closely linked. Your story sounds like it links together from what information you've provided, however, maybe it's not so clear from your actual writing as a writing consultant flagged it up.
    Why don't you find a few beta readers and see what they think about it?

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The whole thing could fit the genre, thriller, I think.

4. WriterMMS

WriterMMS Member

It could definitely work, as long as the 2nd half is smart and cerebral and not an action kung fu hero sort of vibe.