What gives you the creeps?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by NeeNee, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Wasn`t calling you the blabber mouth part, just meant to say people who break space boundaries or take about personal things might weird others out even if they doesn't mean to and it`s not necessarily their fault. Wasn`t calling you anything, cross my heart.

VynniL likes this.
  2. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

It's alright. Sometimes I like to be semi seriously silly here. I do weird people out and it is for various reasons. But I'm mostly referring to work situations when I talk about me. I have very separate work, personal and online life.

Work wise, being forward and asking/talking and being direct when I want something has opened many opportunities. I'd say it's been more a positive than a negative. I can't see the bad in it and shrug off those it bothers as being a bit uptight. So at work, I'm extroverted.

Personal wise, I've been told I am extremely weird because I refuse to deal with people at all given a choice. So it's the opposite. I tell people to leave me alone, nicely and with love, but the language is clear. I'm never creeped out, just annoyed when I'm forced to engage in anyway. I think my personal space zone privately would be would be hundreds of metres and as far as I can't see you. I dread talking to people in my personal time even though I love talking to people, it's hard to explain and is the introvert in me. lol

On more thought because I really struggled with this question since physical attributes don't bother me, what creeps me out are persistent people who won't take no for an answer. The reason I got back into writing is due to a stalkery person annoying the bejesus out of me. But I wasn't so much creeped out rather than I was grossed out, and completely pissed off he wanted to invade my mental space. His need to get a reaction, any reaction, even if it's a negative one was overwhelming. Getting that vibe from a person who won't take normal social cues and demand to be notice is unpleasant. And the reason I had a probem with this person to begin with is that I dislike anyone who feels manipulative. My return to writing came with writing a short satire about this person as therapy. Maybe I should thank him. lol

And did someone say aspergers was creepy?! I think once you are aware what that means and the signs of it, as long as it does not stop them from being socially disconnected, I see it as something that makes them interesting and unique. Quite a lot of Aspergers in IT. :)

@NeeNee - I am sorry, I don't suppose any of the above helps your interview. I really tried. I think just sitting in a room with a man staring silently at me and not speaking will creep me out.

Of course, if he's really hot and we were single then it might not creep me out.

But if he pulls out a knife then it would quickly chase away all romantic notions...

Okay, I am giving up now. I need to get to work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Gazzola

Gazzola Member

Characters who are excessively polite when there's nothing about them that supports this (like being a butler). It makes me think that they have some deep problems, possibly related to violence or manic behavior, that they are trying to keep under control. If this is a repeating character who is neither friendly nor an antagonist, I get antsy expecting them to blow up or show up in expected places driving a (negative) plot I hadn't expected.