1. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy

What Have Your Agent Submission Experiences Been Like?

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by Set2Stun, Aug 6, 2022.

I started querying agents for the first time last week. I was wondering how others feel about the process and am hoping some might be willing to share their experiences. How many agents do you query at a time? How often do you query? How frequently do you hear back from them?

My own experience so far is that I've submitted to 9 agents. It takes me roughly one hour per submission. It's been like:
    • Go to the website of a literary agency from Query Tracker that has interest in my genre.
    • Read the bios/blurbs of each agent at the agency to see who might be the best fit for the work.
    • Personalize the query letter and edit it according to their stated preferences and submit.
    One thing that's troubled me some is what they want for an initial sample of your work. By pages, I am presuming they mean 12-point Times New Roman double-spaced. Some request just the first ten pages. That won't even get them halfway to the inciting incident. Are they looking for a snippet to just make sure I actually know how to write? That's my guess, anyway. Some want twenty, and that's better, but I much prefer it when they want the first three chapters. My third chapter ends with the conclusion of the inciting incident, which is perfect.

Do people try to write the first parts of their books around submission guidelines? It seems like the "first ten pages" is the most common ask so far, though I know I've just barely gotten started. I know that the beginning is of course the most important part of a book - you need to hook that reader in and keep them interested.

There was only one agency out of the nine that did not specify that the sample be taken from the very beginning. So I sent them the most exciting part of the book, the last two chapters of Part II, which ends on a cliffhanger. Was that a mistake? Should I always presume they want samples starting at the beginning, even when not specified?

Thanks in advance !

2. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

These were all my questions as well.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Comments below are more to aid in getting answers from those with more experience working with agents:

Did any also request a synopsis? I would think that if the first ten pages are well written, they'd take a closer look at the synopsis and as long as it is interesting, they'd then decide if they wanted to request the full.

Also I'm not sure if the ten pages are a hard rule. If the inciting incident occurs at page 11 or 12 or the chapter ends at page 12, I think it's OK to send up to that point. Not sure what the grace period is, but it's my understanding there is a little flexibility in the sample requirements. But this may vary by agent.

4. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Only one so far specifically mentioned a synopsis. Most just want the query letter and a sample of the manuscript.

I think the best submission method I've come across so far was this online form that has fields with text limits. When you only have 2000 characters (including spaces), you really have to cut the fat out of your query. And when the writing sample is the first 10,000 characters from the beginning, easy. Don't need to overthink anything.

For two of them that requested the first ten pages, I sent the first three chapters anyway. I thought, well if they only want to read the first ten (if they even happen to make it that far), then they can choose to stop, or continue. Probably a big mistake. I think I better just sent the first ten going forward, if that's what they want. I've read that agents can be pretty particular about their guidelines, and if you don't follow them precisely, you're immediately rejected.

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I think it's kind of a joke at this point. Nobody anywhere in the publishing business mentions page count except for agents in their submission requirements. The entirety of the language is spoken in word count. Literally everything in the universe: word count, word count, word count. Except for the agents. I think it's an inside joke at this point. We're going to reject 99.999% of everything we receive, so who cares how we refer to length?

Set2Stun and evild4ve like this.
  6. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I had a 1 day rejection once. My manuscript was 130k and science-fantasy genre. Agent rejected it and responded with "this is too long for a debut author." (Word count was no where listed in the submission guidelines, btw)

Some are really picky.
    Some say "if you have a typo here or there in your query letter, no big deal... I dont look at that. I pay more attention to the story"

Set2Stun likes this.
  7. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

There are a number of videos by literary agents on YT that talk about querying. From what they say it sounds like they get too often one of the following types of authors: those who think their manuscript is close to perfection (aka the way they want it to be, so not truly willing to listen to criticism), and those who think their work is done and it is the agent/editor's turn to do the rest of the work. Asking to follow instructions in the submission process is a way for agents to check how wiling you are to work together and how easy you are to work with. Because the information requested is so little and structured, and so many resources are online to figure out the rules of the submission game, then following instructions properly tells them whether you did your homework, which in turn tells the agents what kind of player you are. It is the same kind of game when submitting a resume or application or grant. Every detail counts. Of course mistakes happen, like typos, but sending multiple chapters in the face of the request for a few pages is a choice. You think you are helping them taking a decision or that it opens your possibilities. But it does exactly the opposite. So my suggestion is just follow the instructions. If instructions are unclear or you have doubts, then send a message asking for details. But do this only if necessary. They receive hundreds of submissions a year, so they have already fine-tuned the instructions on their submission pages. They have their own process for deciding what kind of manuscript to take on, every extra you add that was not requested is just annoying and unhelpful to them. I think it is worth trying to understand the agent's point of view, it makes it easier to navigate the submission process more easily and to help overcome the fear of a rejection.

deadrats, Estragon64 and Set2Stun like this.
  8. Set2Stun

I'm up to 55 submissions now, which took me a total of 30 hours to do. I'm much more efficient than I was at the beginning. I've been following their instructions almost always to the letter, though in some cases, I will give them just a little more than they've asked for. I wish I took down more detailed information about what percentage of agents want what, though I suppose if I really want to, I can review all my emails and Query Tracker submissions.

For now, I'll just provide my overall impressions and make best estimates. The most common request by far is for the first ten pages. They really seem to care the most about the query letter, and then a small sample to make sure there's a hook early on, and that you actually know how to write. The second most common request is for only 5 pages! Five! Just wild. I feel like if someone sat down and just read my book, they'd really enjoy it, but agents are never going to do that for obvious reasons. It's a bit of a mix after that. I'd say the next most common ask is for the first chapter, or first three chapters. Then there are some random outliers, like the first two chapters, first 20 pages, first 25 pages, etc.

Of the first 9 agents I queried, only one wanted a synopsis. That ratio has certainly changed a bit since then. I'd estimate that around 15-20% of them want a synopsis. I like it when they ask for this, as I feel this gives me much more of an advantage over just the first ten pages. All but one wanted some kind of bio, which sucks. I have nothing interesting to say about myself. There's not really any angle. I'm just some guy.

About 10-15%, especially those using QT, specifically ask for comparative titles and/or what kind of audience you believe your book is for. Maybe 5% want you to include your "pitch," but I'm not really sure what to put there as my pitch is the third paragraph of my query letter. I just kinda paraphrase it.

So far I'm at 9 confirmed rejections, though there's probably a dozen more that can be assumed to be passes based on the timeframes that were given for a response.

I think the main lesson I'm going to take away from this process is to write my next book with querying top of mind. Those first 5-10 pages are going to be absolutely packed with action and drama, even though that's not how I think stories should be written.

9. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I don't know if it will help, but have you ever checked out a blog called query shark? It seems to have a lot of useful info.

ArborSloane and Set2Stun like this.
  10. J.T. Woody

My stats for the current project i am querying is 37 agents on my list, 11 rejections, 19 still out, 7 have yet to be queried.

the rarity for me was the request for a 2 page full synopsis. The majority of the query forms ask for a brief synopsis, but 1 r 2 ask for full.
    I've come across forms that ask for 5, 10, 25 page samples, but the ones that I like are the "first 3 chapters".

I'm very picky about who i query. I dont just want to query any agent that falls in my genre. I spend a lot of time going through their client list for authors i recognize. then i go through the over all agency client list. As a librarian, I have a bit more insight because i have to read reviews on books before i order them. so i'm always thinking about the reviews on their clients books, or books that i recognize from the library journals and on library website. I also look at how well they circulate at my library, too (though this isnt a make or break for me. Science Fiction and Fantasy at my library isnt as popular as Inspirational and Literary fiction). If an agency has zero books that i recognize, its a no for me. If they have 1 or 2, it goes on my list. if there are a few more that i recognize, query them.
    Needless to say, its a lengthy process for me.

My query letter, though, keeps changing.
    I try to edit it to suit the agent. For example, 1 agent doesnt want any religious themed works. my project isnt religious... but the query letter mentions a hallucination the MC has of the love interest as an angel. For this agent, i reworded it to take out the "angel" part so the agent wouldnt think its a religious/religion inspired piece (even though the first half of the chapter takes place in a cathedral with my MC facing down a nun.....)
    Anther agent emphasizes certain tropes she wanted to see... so i reworded my query letter t highlight those tropes.
    Everything else is pretty consistently copy/pasted into other forms, but i customize my query letters frequently. unfortunately, because i do this, i cant tell if the letter has anything to do with the rejections. like, maybe one iteration was more crappy than the other or something like that.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    deadrats and Set2Stun like this.
  11. Set2Stun

Nothing but form letters from my August and October submissions (or no response). I've been doing more submitting again, and just wanted to mention another thing that I've noticed. It seems that it's only the American agencies that want (a ridiculous) 5-10 page sampling. Almost every agency based in the UK that I have submitted to requests the first 50 pages, or the first three chapters. I wish they all requested this, as 5 pages doesn't get you very far into the story. It only demonstrates whether the writer knows their craft or not, and the rest is up to how good the query letter is.

12. Jordan Hart

Jordan Hart New Member

Cari Mora
    That's precisely what's been on my mind. Writing with querying in mind. The problem, for me at least, is that I can't seem to write very well now and it's causing writer's block. I keep trying to rewrite the first chapter of my second manu, the one I haven't queried for yet. Thinking about making the first sentence, first paragraph, first chapter absolutely spectacular, spectacular is just stifling the hell out of my sensitive little writer brain. So I have mixed feelings about this method. But maybe that's just me.

I'm curious if you've had any personalized rejections. I haven't yet, which means I have no idea why it was rejected. So on top of everything, I'm not sure rewrites or writing with queries in mind would help. The impression I get is that it just has to "speak to them", which is subjective, and more about finding the right agent. For me, it feels like trying to find a wife.

Set2Stun likes this.
  13. J.T. Woody

after my 88th rejection, i caved and responded to the agent, essentially asking for feedback.
    I probably wont get a response.... but i mean, I dont want to keep sending the same query/submission packet if there is something that needs to be worked on

(oops! ok, so i accidently lied. it wasnt 88 rejections. 88 submissions, but HALF of those were rejections...)

Set2Stun likes this.
  14. Set2Stun

Oh boy, tell me about it. For my newer book, I think my opening lines and first couple of paragraphs are dynamite, but I'm worried it slows right down after that. I asked readers if that was the case and they said no, it's fine, but I still have doubts. The big inciting incident comes late, in chapter three, which is also a concern.

For my first book, I think my opening sentences are completely pedestrian and might not hook in readers much at all, however by the third page, we're introduced to a crisis that threatens all of humanity.

I think either of these should be fine for most readers. It would be for me, certainly. I don't bail on books after a few sentences or pages, and I don't know anyone who does. It's this weird agenting game affecting how books begin, and I guess we have to do what they want to have a chance.

I'm going to continue submitting as-is for now, but it's not looking good. Zero personal rejections. Some of the form letters tricked me for a couple days before I realized that they were actually forms, though. Some agents have really nice form letters. I've only received one personalized rejection, and it was for a short story. They let me know what worked for them and what didn't, so I have an idea on what to work on for a rewrite.

Same. I wish any one of these agents could just tell me where they stopped reading. Did they even get to the sample pages? Is the query or synopsis good or bad? When was the moment you knew it was a "no?"

But I get it. Thousands of queries, less than 1% accepted. I haven't been asked for extra material yet, either. At the very least, I am now quite knowledgeable about the publishing business, and I'm pretty damn good at submitting queries (and getting form rejections). :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    B.E. Nugent likes this.
  15. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I don't think it matters all that much what they ask for with the initial submission. Five pages of 50 pages, there's no guarantee that anyone is going to read that far. No one is going to get all the way through 50 pages if the first 5 aren't drawing them in.

16. Set2Stun

While I feel that's mostly true regarding the first 5 pages, I think it does matter in a way. If someone requests only 5, and they're even a bit on the fence, I feel it's more likely they'll reject instead of going to the next step and requesting more material. At that point you have to engage the author again and most likely waste time. And maybe begin a back and forth with them that would be better to avoid. If they're not certain, but there's 20 or 45 more pages available there to read if they want, I reckon they'll read some more and see.

I wish I knew some agents to ask about such things. There's YT videos and stuff, but I don't get all the answers I am seeking. Most of it is just the basic stuff we already know. For the book I think has the best chance of selling, I feel pretty good about checking off the boxes for:
    • solid query letter with intriguing hook
    • yes, this person seems to know how to write
    • great opening lines and paragraphs
    But after that? I have no idea. If those boxes are being checked, what's the next thing they're looking for?

17. J.T. Woody

I actually got a response :ohno:
    The agent said that it was a strong query letter and pitch, with good sample writing. They just arent a fans of the dark fantasy genre....

deadrats and Set2Stun like this.
  18. Que

Que Active Member

Billy Summers by Stephen King
    It's a problem for me too. Most of the advice I've found on the web and in forums like this one is that you should begin your story with several things in the first paragraph. Introduce the character and his or her status quo, then grab the reader's attention with the inciting event. Most of the novels I have read, however, do not follow that rule. And it's been very difficult to follow that rule in my own novels. As someone mentioned in this thread, readers are less likely to notice that the author has not followed some rule about how a novel should unfold. Agents are, however, more likely to notice things that don't meet their requirements and therefore reject your query. The synopsis is a good tool for fixing problems in your story, of course, but it's been difficult to keep my synopsis from contradicting my story. And versa vice!

Set2Stun likes this.
  19. Set2Stun

I'm actually in the middle of rewriting the opening of my earlier book. I started querying it to agents for the first time recently, and noticed that they are rejecting it quickly. Like within a few days, or a week and a bit. Seems like they are not giving it much thought at all, whereas for the other one, it's generally been taking much longer to come to a decision (which is still a No anyway, heh).

For this one, the first several pages are comprised of a detailed introduction of the main character; what kind of person he is, his habits, hobbies, and what he does for a living. The crisis is hinted at by page 3, and then the inciting incident is in full swing by page 5. I am now changing this so that it begins on page 1. Then I will introduce the character by how he reacts to the situation. I wonder if this will help at all. I'll try submitting it this way maybe next weekend and see what happens. Maybe this isn't even the issue, it's that the query letter sucks! Sure wish we could get some agent feedback..

Que likes this.
  20. Que

Que Active Member

Billy Summers by Stephen King
    Yeah, most submission guidelines explain how busy the agent is. But how long would it take to provide feedback? Regarding the elements of a story arc, I've also been trying to get most or all of them into the first paragraph or so. Then trying to get the query, the synopsis and the beginning of my novel to follow suit. What I came up with is to write the elevator pitch in my query to motivate the agent to read the synopsis and the synopsis to motivate the agent to read the first paragraph (or whatever s/he requires) I've included with the query... Query => Synopsis => Manuscript. Anyone in this thread have a similar conclusion?

Set2Stun likes this.
  21. deadrats

I think you're probably on the right track with those edits. Wishing you lots of luck.

Set2Stun likes this.
  22. deadrats

I don't think feedback is usually helpful unless it's from an agent or editor who wants to work with you and is asking you to resubmit with said changes or if they would like you query them in the future when you have a different project. Other than that what can they really say? And what's the point? Agents are looking for writers they can work with. They're not there to teach anyone anything. I do think their time is too precious for that.

Set2Stun likes this.
  23. J.T. Woody

Have you guys come across agents asking not only for your sample pages and query letter, but also asking if you have more projects?
    Like, a career plan type of thing?
    I came across my second agent asking that. I always thought, as a debut author, agents dont want to commit to series or additional projects until they know the debut author can make them money.
    My first thought was "this is a trap...."

24. Set2Stun

No. That seems strange to me. Being a writer isn't a career path unless you get extraordinarily lucky. I reckon most writers' plans are to write one or a handful of things at a time and try to sell them, and see what happens. If I am very fortunate, maybe I'll get offered something like a $5K advance and a 25% royalty, and I certainly won't be making a living off of that.

Although with more context maybe it might make sense? Maybe they want to know if you've got anything else ready to sell in the event that they like your writing but they think the book you queried isn't going to sell?

95% of my queries are just: query letter, sample pages, and sometimes a synopsis
    There are some more annoying ones where they want me to write an elevator pitch, blurb, details as to how I'm going to be marketing it. But no, haven't come across that yet. Interesting that you've gotten that twice now.

25. J.T. Woody

One asked what genre i plan to write in going forward and if i have anything else im working on.

The other asked if it will be a series, if so, how many books and if not, could i see myself writing a series in the future