1. nickbrookes1991

nickbrookes1991 New Member

Preferred Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by nickbrookes1991, Jul 15, 2010.

I was just wondering how all of you write and which works the best, as for me I tend to write in a pad of some sort so that it is portable and I can take it around, then I get back and write it all up electronically.
    Was just wondering how youll all do it, what works best.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I write generally on my laptop, but I do have a notebook that I use when the urge to write takes me and I can't do so electronically.

3. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Most of the time, I write at my desktop. HOWEVER, when I travel, I take a laptop. And I always keep a notepad or at least a few pages of blank paper or note cards for when and idea pops into my head either for a new work or my current WIP. And, in the just in case category, there is my micro-recorder. (As you can see, I believe in being prepared!) And, I have also been known to be stuck in a waiting room without any of the above *gasp* and I have written pages upon pages on my phone "Docs 2 Go" app.

4. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

I work on the computer a good deal, but I prefer to handwrite in a notebook. I work more quickly that way and clean it up as I'm recording what I wrote in a Word document, sort of 1 1/2 draft.

But it is only the first draft that I like to do this way. I don't liketo work on my laptop at all, but generally use my desktop. Notebooks have the drawback of not being able to look things up instantly, but I do still own a dictionary and a couple bound books.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i usually write either directly on the computer, or with a medium point, blue ink, fat pen on lined pastel ampads [the kind with heavy-duty backing], then transcribe it onto the computer...

if i'm without either of those, i'll write with anything i can get my hands on, on anything that's handy, anywhere i happen to be, at any time i have something on my brain that needs to be set down on paper [or whatever]...

6. Shinn

Shinn Banned

I always write on my laptop, since my handwriting skills leave a lot to be desired.

7. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

Depends on where I am. If I'm at home I'll more often then not work on my laptop. But if I'm out and have time (usually between my classes at collage), then I'll sit quietly and write in my notepad. I find that one of the advantages of writing in a notepad is when I transcribe my writing I can do a quick edit as I go.

8. King Hawk

King Hawk New Member

I almost always write on my computer. I can type a lot faster and with fewer errors than I can write. Especially if I want to be able to read it afterwards.

I do, when I can't be at my desk, try to have a notebook on me to write down ideas or draw something. I try not to do a lot of serious writing that way though. My hand starts to cramp up pretty fast.

9. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

I use the lappy, so I can sit wherever I want to. Although, a pen and paper is usually never to far away should something strike me.

10. Joules03

Joules03 New Member

I write in bed with my netbook - my handwritingis worse than a doctor's, and it physically hurts me !! I can type fast and find it easier to edit later

11. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

I most generally use pen and paper, I have notebooks upon notebooks of stories that I have written. I'll usually transfer them over to the computer then to do the severe editing and reworking. But as I said in another forum, I use paper because then I can play around with scenes and see where they work best.

Anyways, if I'm not using paper and pencil, I'm using my laptop, or in one case, I used a brown paper bag that was in the vehicle (It was a eight hour trip and I couldn't get my notebook for ideas).

12. RubiBell

RubiBell New Member

I like to mostly write on my laptop. Though sometimes I'll just feel an urge to write something short, no plot to it, just a little writting. Usually about my childhood, family or friends, pets, or little possible fantasies. And I write those in a note book. But if I want to write something with a proper story to it, I do so electronically.
    I also have another notebook for writing down ideas and plans and maybe a few short scenes for one of my stories.

13. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I scrawl random things on any available paper all the time. And doodles.

But for writing the laptop is king.

14. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

A computer is a lot faster, but there's just something about seeing a filled notebook that's infinitely more satisfying than seeing a hundred pages in Microsoft Word. So I use both. When I'm just writing some random story that I have no intention of showing anyone, I use the PC--to ensure I get it done before my urge to write it is gone. But with stories I'm fairly serious about, mostly stories that are in this series I've developed, they go in a spiral-bound.

Also, the quality of my words seems to be better when I write them by hand. Maybe that's just because it's slower, so I'm forced to take it easy and think about it as I go.

15. Garfiun

Garfiun New Member

I get all my ideas down in a notebook I find im more creative when it's pen and paper.

Ill write everything up onto the laptop, but trying to actually write on the laptop hurts my head.