1. Edgelordess

Edgelordess Member

Novel I need suggestions...

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Edgelordess, Aug 19, 2018.

I have extremely short attention span when it comes to long term projects. I've had this problem ever since I was little. What I mean is I can write a one shot (one chapter) essay or short story about topic but once I start something like a novel, comic, autobiography, etc, I loose focus and get bored with what I am writing. Don't get me wrong, I like writing and it isn't the project in particular (at least not always) that I get bored with. But working on the same project for an extended period of time. I'm not sure what exactly causes my boredom other than "time."

Recently I've been working on a few memoir essay pieces about a the same subject (dealing with variety of disabilities mixed with an abusive childhood) and where I publish these essays is not the best platform in my opinion (Deviantart) for this sort of touchy subject. And so a real life peer of mine suggested writing a book and as much as I like that idea..I'm not sure if my attention span will allow that to happen. So far I have written three or four essays in the last three years about this particular topic. I'm not really sure if its "novel" material because its still pretty short. I could start a blog else where with a different crowd too...but I'm not sure what is the best site. (I hate Tumblr by the way)

So I guess what I am asking is a few things:
    1) How do you write a novel if you have a short attention span?
    2) Is starting a blog a better alternative to a novel?
    3) If starting a blog is a better alternative, what site is the best platform for my particular topic?

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You don't, I suppose. Even reading one would seem difficult.

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  3. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

1, As someone who has had to struggled through ADHD his entire life, I can tell you one thing: It's hard. I've only successfully written one novel, while starting half a dozen at least. The key for me has been taking breaks. I find that, if I try to power through it in one go, I'll burn out and come to hate it, so I write portions, then take a few days off to think about what's next. I also find that one of the best things to do is to keep it fresh in your mind at all times. Have a favorite character from your WIP? Imagine how they'd act or feel doing the things you're doing on a daily basis, even if it's mundane.

2. That's completely up to you. If you think blogging would be better and more consistent for you, then go for it.

3. I've never started one, so I don't think I'm the right person to answer this. Sorry!

4. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

FYI.... A novel is a work of fiction. A memoir is nonfiction. Memoirs are not novels. Not ever. It’s one or the other.

If you’re interested in writing a memoir, I’d recommend researching it more first. Memoirs are a really hard market. It’s almost impossible to get an agent or a publisher. Janet Reid’s agent blog is a good resource if you’re interested. She has posts tagged “memoirs.”

If you want to write essays about your struggles... a blog might be a better option.

Blogger and Wordpress are both good tools, but the downside is that there’s too many bloggers there and not enough readers— and there’s no way to drive readers to your blog. Tumblr is the only good place for it I could actually recommend.

5. mykl ruby

mykl ruby New Member

even if you have a shocking short attention span from what you've written I'd say write anything.just write it down and get it out, and dont sweat the length or word count . personally believe writing about your childhood and abuse is good for you in some way, even if its for no ones eyes, or just an exercise, if that makes sense.keep going . don't give up

Shenanigator, Cave Troll and LoaDyron like this.
  6. Carriage Return

Carriage Return Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    jannert likes this.
  7. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Hello my friend :superhello:

I believe it is not boredom that you feel, but maybe you don't like to stick with the project for a long time. That is fine, as long as you keep interested in the topic you are correcting writing. A good strategy you can apply is if at the moment you don't desire to continue more a story, write a new one, even if at the end of the day you end up with a lot of them. The most important thing is training your brain to develop ideas, exploring imaginary words or event concepts that you consider attractive.

1. Well... unfortunately I can't answer this question since I love to write for a long time, because my idea is tent to change time to time. What, however, I will suggest is see what your favourite writer that has short attention span does with novels. Listen to podcasts, search what other writers like yourself advice.

2/3. Because I don't have a specific platform, I can't advise you of a particular website. However, CoyoteKing gave you good things for you to research.

I hope this helps. Keep on good work, and have fun :superagree:

8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I think the trick to a memoir is to have a strong angle. My life is worth reading about. because....

I've read memoirs by people who traveled to interesting places and gave insight into what those places are like. I've read memoirs from older people who lived through interesting times, in a historical sense. And from people who experienced extraordinarily difficult circumstances in life, but overcame them in some way. Just daily ditherings of an ordinary person who isn't actually experiencing much other than angst is difficult to market, unless the writing is VERY sharp. The trick is to come up with a strong angle, and keep hammering that angle home.

You don't have to be old to write one. It does help if you are somebody unusual, or somebody who has done something unusual. I remember reading the memoir of Robin Lee Graham, the boy who sailed solo around the world at the age of 16 (sponsored by National Geographic) back in the 1960s. He wrote the memoir when he was back on land for good, and had been married for a few years, but he was still young. That kind of thing.

Ask yourself this, and be honest with your answer. Why should the doings of my life be important to anybody who doesn't know me? If you can come up with something strong, then by all means, write the memoir. If the answer is weak ...oh, but lots of people don't have supportive parents, so they'll want to read about how mine were mean to me ...make sure your writing is incisive and draws readers in. Just banging on about how unfairly you've been treated won't work as a sales tool.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Shenanigator likes this.
  9. Jupie

Jupie Senior Member

In answer to your questions, here's my approach to writing...

1: I find the trick to writing productively is having a certain confidence in the story you're telling and then letting it become an obsession. This year has been a slow year for me, but in the past when I've started something I've always forced myself to finish. I can't say whether I have a short attention span or not when I write, but I most definitely do when I haven't written anything for a while. The moment I break the habit and start wasting my life on less meaningful things (like gaming and drinking) I find it hard to stick to a project and get writing again. Short attention span or not, I'd say it's much easier to continue something once you've started and you're passionate about something. A big part of that, other than interest, is the confidence you gain from just getting on with it and seeing the story starting to take shape. So long as you care about the story and the characters, you'll want to keep writing. If your lack of attention span comes because you start getting interested in other stories and ideas, just tell yourself that for now this one you're writing still has plenty of twists and turns to keep you interested and that it's not going to write itself. Tell yourself you need to see it through because there's just too much unresolved until it's finished!

2: I guess this depends on why you write and what you enjoy the most. For me, I do enjoy writing a blog on occasion and reflecting over life events or the experiences I've had. I find blogging is often easier because you already really have the material at your disposal whether it's to do with your work, hobbies, love life, civic duties, etc. Blogging is often a digital and written representation of your own views, philosophy and way of life so it's a great way to start writing and getting something down on paper. I'd say it's probably easier to write blogs if you have a short attention span because you don't have to follow a long series of threads or be particularly consistent (unless you want to follow a theme) for any lengthy amount of time. All that said, for me writing a story and disappearing into a different world is infinitely more fun and engaging than blogging. I write to get lost in something and can wile away the hours.... blogging is fun for a time but eventually it would probably begin to feel like work for me.

3: I won't be much help on this question since I only write for recreation...

:)

10. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

Maybe try writing a book of short stories. That way if you get bored with a subject you can just start another story.

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. Darius Marley

Darius Marley Member

My best remedy for getting a piece finished, is to write a complete concept (beginning, middle, and end) in rough outline form... then build details around the main points, until a complete story emerges.