What if everyone had the same wages?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by L a u r a, Jan 16, 2012.

1. L a u r a

L a u r a New Member

You know what? Okay. Oppressive it is. I think I've got the government's outline down pat.

That being said, does this type of government actually sound interesting? It would just be a background plot of the book, a little add-in to make the story unique. It doesn't sound completely idiotic, does it?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Sure, I think it could make a setting for a very interesting story. It would be interesting to me to simply explore the societal ramifications of it (does a black market for services develop, for example). Even with the wage structure as a background issue, you could write an interesting story around it and if it is well done I don't think anyone is going to think that the wage-structure of your society makes it idiotic.

3. L a u r a

L a u r a New Member

Yay. Not sounding idiotic is a good thing. ;)

Thanks for the help, everyone!

4. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

No. If you look at the career paths of most of the truly successful business men and woman, they spend a lot of hours at the office, and not a hell of a lot elsewhere. They don't take time off, and in my personal opinion, they don't value free time in the same way as slobs like me. They would not welcome being told that they could work less as a reward.

Also your system couldn't be considered capitalist. At the heart of capitalism is the idea of the free market, where people can choose to exchange goods and services for money or other goods and services. Those who want to work long hard hours and make lots of money, would be prevented from doing so under your system. That is not free. (Note: I am not making a value judgement here, just pointing out the definitions.)

The Norwegian systems as someone has previously mentioned is a better compromise.People can work longer and harder and earn more money, but a steep pregressive taxation system, means that they will see less return from their extra effort, which acts both as a small disincentive for working those hours, and also enables the governments to run massive social engineering programs for their people, such as free education, medical care, and pensions etc. However, even a social democracy like them could not limit people's hours and try to swap money for leave. To do that requires a government with an iron hand over the entire wealth making apparatus of the country. That's communism.

As I say it's not necessarily a bad thing, and it is an ideal with a lot going for it. But true communism has never existed in any country on Earth, and those countries that have gone down that road towards it, have tended to head towards bankruptcy - Cuba, Russia etc, and / or moved towards authoritarianism, Cuba, Russia, China etc. Communism may simply be an ideal beyond the inherent decency of human beings.

Cheers, Greg.

5. L a u r a

L a u r a New Member

Thanks for the in-depth response, Greg!

I think I'm still going to keep the government for my story, though, simply because it opens up a lot of opportunities for sub plots. Call it what you like (I guess communism would be accurate, wouldn't it? Apparently muscle979 was right from the beginning...I was just too ignorant to listen to him.), but when the time comes, I'll probably come up with another name for it. That's just how I work. ;)

I'm not trying to come up with Utopia here. And, since this government system would require "an iron hand over the entire wealth," it's perfect for my plot. Sweet candy on the outside, sour glop on the inside. Perfect.

As for the workaholics not wanting to take time off of work...I don't know. However, seeing as I want to finish my current writing project before I start this one, I think I have time to work it out.

6. VivaLaPanda

VivaLaPanda New Member

I think the communism things are just about your thread title, your pyramid design isn't everyone getting the same pay, capitalism based on education, not assigned value (problem is education is already broken, so you would have to fix that first ;)