What is (a) Scene?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Andrae Smith, Mar 21, 2014.

1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Thanks for the link @peachalulu, I just signed up for Open Library, never even occurred to me there's such a thing.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Just noticed the library addition last week and I've been borrowing up a storm!

jazzabel likes this.
  3. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Hmmm... I never thought of it in this way.

@jazzabel, every writer is a bit of a nerd on some level. don't worry about sending it. I will use OpenLibrary. Otherwise I will wait to buy it (Cuz ASU's fast library doesn't have it either >:p)

@peachalulu, thanks for the link. I have an account with these guys. I forgot the name of the website though when my laptop was stolen long ago. I never did find my way back. I had a couple of books checked out through them. I'll look for it there!

And thanks for the commentary on Lolita. I think you're right, too. If the tension can be held that may help define and carry a scene.

jazzabel likes this.
  4. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I understand scenes as an event happening in real time. It is sensory and you can visualize it. Also, there should be a function, a purpose, of the scene (does it reveal a character trait? does it move the story? does it foreshadow?).

Contrast to narrative summary where events are sped up in time. They are sped up since they don't add anything to the story or the plot, but function as a transition between scenes.

Andrae Smith and minstrel like this.
  5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

By far the clearest, most useful explanation of scene I've ever come across is this article by Anna Keesey. She doesn't use the "scene and sequel" concept, and deals with the "show-don't-tell" concept more plainly than anyone else I've seen. I'd trade both Swain's and Bickham's approaches to scene for this one article any day.

Have a look. It's free at Gotham Writers Workshop, so I assume I can link to it without copyright infringement.

I hope it helps you! :)

jazzabel and Burlbird like this.
  6. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

That is actually a really good consideration of a scene. I like that you mention, 'in real time." That seems like one of the crucial identifying points.

Thanks for the link!I found it highly insightful. I've never really considered scenes like that. It shed a lot of light on the different styles and progression. It also helps that I've read most of the works she's quoted, by this point. :)