1. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

What is it like in a Burn Center?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Viserion, Feb 19, 2021.

I’m planning on having a character who was severely burned across about 40-45 percent of his body in a house fire. These are severe burns- second to third degree. The burns cover his upper torso and arms.

I’ve heard in other places that this character would most likely need artificial breathing support, and that burn centers are kept warm to reduce the risk of hypothermia, but I’m wanting to gather more info.

Feel free to ask for clarification, and thanks in advance for helping me out.

2. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

It looks a little like an ICU. Each patient has their own enclosed room and the three things they try to do are regulate body temperature, avoid infection, and manage fluid balance. There's a lot of wound cleaning and dressing changes.

Accelerator231 and Viserion like this.
  3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Viserion likes this.
  4. Cilogical

Cilogical Banned

Burns are classified by size and depth. Each part of the body has a percentage allocated that helps to estimate burn size. Torso and arms equates to around 36% if only anterior or posterior is involved. If the burns are circumferential that would equate to around 54%. Torso circumferential burns are extremely serious as they can seriously restrict the mechanics of breathing along with all the other complications. Sometimes this is treated by cutting the burnt skin to relieve tension and restriction (fasciotomy). With severe burns to the upper torso the patient may also have inhaled some hot gases which can lead to serious airway problems.

Burns units have a strange smell and atmosphere that I can’t really describe. Patients are usually isolated to reduce infection risk and clinical staff wear PPE for the same reason. If the patient is not sedated/intubated analgesia is a high priority as burns are extremely painful plus fluid and electrolyte management and wound debridement. People used to die after 50% burns but treatment is very advanced now and more and more survive.

Accelerator231 and Viserion like this.