what is most-times you read a novel?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by blankdraft, Nov 13, 2008.

1. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

Five parts of the trilogy, huh? :rolleyes:

I read the first years ago, then listened to the audio about a year or two ago, and recently listened to the audio of the "Tertiary Phase."

I have one question: Did they ever find out the question to the ultimate answer, which is 42, which is the meaning of the life, the universe and everything?

Please don't tell me that the ultimate question is, "What's 7 x 6?"

Charlie

PS. I've never read Les Miserables, nor have I seen the play, but every time I read or hear about it, I always think of the painfully obvious pun. "You should read/see Les Miserables, you'll be less miserable!"

---
    So you think you have Rabbititis?
    What's 2 x 2?
    What's 3 x 3?
    Ah-HAH! Multiplying!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes.
    Nope. It is, ""What do you get when you multiply six by nine?"

Arthur Dent then noted that he always thought there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.

3. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts New Member

The radio was for me, one of the funniest versions. Douglas Adams never quite got the hang of continuity between mediums, so in effect, there were three different versions of the guide, radio, book and television. The television series was actually bearable, considering they had no special effects to speak of back then.

I'd also like to state at this point that the film, in my mind, will Never Count as a Douglas Adam's venture, because, although he gave the film rights to the movie company (i think disney, but I could be wrong) he also demanded to have full creative input, which is why it never got made when he was alive, because nothing was ever quite right.

Once he died, they massacared his ideas, and turned it into a big steaming pile of hollywood rubbish. I walked out of the film half way through I was so annoyed and disappointed.

There is, for the ubergeeks out there, also a text based rpg game out there. I used to have it, but it went, along with my old computer that spectacularly died. Vista doesn't seem to like DOS based apps, so that, along with my Princess Maker 2, sadly have been resigned to the 'I will play them no more' catagory.

But feel free to seek it out.

4. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Probably the Wheel of Time series. I got into it when it was a little more than half-done and would re-read the series almost each time a new book came out. It was necessary because I looked back at the publication dates and figured it was about two years between each release. The thing is, only the first three or so actually qualify as favorite books. Towards the end, the only characters I don't hate are Matt and the Seanchan.

I usually don't re-read a book unless I really like it, so even with the ones I do, I think I'd be hard-pressed to find one I've read more than four or five times. I've read the Pit Dragons trilogy a couple of times, and Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher. (I think I'm beginning to notice a trend in my favorite books) Starship Troopers has made it at least three times.

5. love2listen

love2listen New Member

6. love2listen

love2listen New Member

Also Anne Frank's diary, of course

7. FrankB

FrankB New Member

The only novels I've re-read are the Lord of the Rings (about 10 times) and Tad Williams' first trilogy, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (three times).

8. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Just can't bring myself to reread books, no matter how much I liked them the first time. Except when I was little, and I used to ask my Mom to read me the same books over and over.

9. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I tried to read The Hero with a Thousand Faces once and couldn't get through it...maybe I'll give it another shot.

I've read the first three Harry Potter books a ridiculous number of times (probably upwards of 30 or 40...it's ridiculous), and while I haven't read 4-7 that ridiculously many times, the number of re-reads on those would be up there, too.

When I find something I like, I get a little obsessive. :redface:

10. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

Three times. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

I love how you find new meaning in books as you grow older.

11. Kas

Kas New Member

On a Pale Horse was awesome. I've read that three or four times.

I've also read those three times. Hah! They were excellent.

Read the first seven three or four times, but was losing interest in the later installments. Crossroads, I skimmed through. So that one didn't even get a full read.

I've read GRRM's Storm of Swords seven times. Twice I read it in one day (1400 pages).

That said, I read most novels only once. There's always new material out there, and I don't wanna get stuck reading the same stuff over and over. I reread my favourites to analyse them, or to refresh my memory, (Wheel of Time) or take a trip down memory lane.

12. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I'm going to read it all the way through again, but only once it's all finished. I tried to reach A Feast For Crows, but was lost because I couldn't remember what happened before. A Game of Thrones is one of my favourite fantasy novels, it's the only time I've been shocked by a fantasy novel.

13. Kas

Kas New Member

I know what you mean. It puts Robert Jordan's style (where it seemed like 1/4 of each book was just recap) in perspective, but I prefer Martin's approach. You could always find a summary somewhere, to refresh your memory.

And considering that Martin may well be the slowest epic fantasy writer in history, you'll have a long wait, I think.:p I wonder if he'll pull a Jordan and die before he finishes.

And that brings me to a good point about recaps; if Jordan hadn't written the equivalent of two or three books in repetition alone, he probably would have completed the series.

14. Idiot Mage

Idiot Mage New Member

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski is definitely at the top of the list. It's one of those books that you have to read through several times before you can even scratch the surface of the story. I'm certain I've read it at least 4-5 times and even now, I still don't understand all of it. In second would be Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. It was just such a wonderful book, and it's always worth a read.