Tags:
  1. Zach Dames

Zach Dames New Member

What is my poetry style?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Zach Dames, Oct 17, 2017.

Hello!

New around here, my name is Zach and I'm a twenty year old artist and photographer. Anyways, I will cut to the chase.

I am working on a large progect, a small poetic graphic novel/short story? Not sure what to even call it. Basically, the left page will be a verse and the right page will be an illustration. I'm curious as to what my poetic style is. I will post a verse from my story below:

"At first, the little ghost brought only pieces of shadow and sorrow. Nothing unbearable, just leaving the man hoping for a brighter tomorrow.

After a while the ghost would leave, but only for a season; for the ghost would always return, mostly without even a reason".

What is the rhyme style and rhythm? I would really like to study up on and start refining what I have so for.

Thanks in advance,
    Zach

Youssef Salameh likes this.
  2. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

I am doing the same thing.

I suggest you look up William Blake as he did this as well (he'd paint pictures to go along with his poems.)

It seems like you are aiming for Iambic Octameter. This is a hard line to write in as the longer the line, the harder it is to keep the Rhythm going, but in any case, I'd suggest you look at a few of Blake's poems.

-

https://www.writingforums.org/entry/a-study-of-metrical-writing-part-1-introduction.63871/

Here is my blog series on Metrical Writing, but it is aimed toward Iambic Pentameter, and Blank Verse (non-rhyming verse.)

If you want your verse to have more 'sound' to it, this is where Edgar Allen Poe triumphs, and would be worth reading.

-

I am sure I could suggest more, but it's hard to tell what your end goals are in terms of writing.

I wish you the best of luck.

-OJB

Zach Dames likes this.
  3. Zach Dames

Zach Dames New Member

T

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback.

Love Poe, he's a big inspiration for my artwork and poetry.

I'm definitely open to any suggestions you have. I'm really enjoying writing this poetry, lots of fun.

-Zach

4. Poetical Gore

Poetical Gore Member

If you watch the old Heathcliff cartoons where the second half was the Catillac Cats and they had a cat named Wordsworth, and boy could that cat spit rhymes.

5. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

The verse you wrote is beautiful, it shows how the character struggles for light despite the lingering of a force res presented here by ghost that is tutoring him. Its great indeed.
    All in all, in my opinion, no matter how big and thorough the article is, it either should bear a poetic direction or a narrative direction.
    It could bear both, however, a writer should convey his ideas logically away from exaggerated imagination, knowing that am not referring here to you beautiful verse.