1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Man's Best Friend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by aimi_aiko, Jun 26, 2011.

Since there is a thread about cats, I decided to create one about dogs.

Dogs are known as man's best friend, and the strongest and loyalist compainions.

Discuss your moments with your dog and what they mean to you, etc.

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I've had my dog, Winnie, since I was about 3 (I'm 16 now). She's a Sheltie and she's absolutely gorgeous. We've grown up together and I love her. :D But unfortunately she's getting old, and she's going deaf, barking more and she's becoming incontinent, and it's difficult to cope with.

3. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

I got my Angel for my 5th birthday.

She's a Golden Retriever, and I love her to bits. I hated leaving home and leaving her, especially because (like gigi's dog) she's getting old, deaf and incontinent. Every time I leave from a visit at home I'm scared that she won't be there when I go back.

She's also taken to using her incontinence as a weapon. If we do something she doesn't like, she'll take a sh*t because she knows we don't like that.

Also, my parents have a two year old Burnese Mountain Dog named Nugget. He is such a character! He slurps up socks like they're spaghetti (we find them in his poop later - not cool), and steals EVERYTHING. Once, my Mum's phone called me and all I could hear was heavy breathing, and in the distance my Mum and Brother yelling out "Nugget, come back!"

After having Angel for so long, and her being a white dog and everything, my Dad got all funny when we were trying to toilet train the Nugget, and installed flood lights out back of our house so that we could "see when he went." It was hilarious.

Why do all my dog stories have to do with poop? :D

I love my doggies so much! I could babble about them forever.

(Also, I put photos of them in the photo thread, before I found this one)

4. Domino

Domino Active Member

My life revolves around my dogs' needs at the moment. I have two GSDs. I love them both to death.

TL (my angel) came from a family that couldn't handle her. (Or, should I say, couldn't be bothered with her once she was past the cute puppy phase.) The moment she stepped through my front door she knew she was home. She's always been a blissfully happy dog. She's eleven now and still thinks she's a pup. Such a sweetheart.

Frank (my demon dawg) was dumped at the shelter I worked at, six years ago. The family he adored and trusted and was forever loyal to apparently didn't feel the same way about him. They left him very distressed. He couldn't cope with being in a kennel environment, and it turned him a bit mental. Nobody would take him in, so he ended up coming home with me.

Yep, I am a sucker for an unwanted dog. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

My husband's aunt has a Great Dane, and the two of us went to California with my sister and her fiance and stayed at his aunt's house. We were getting ready to leave for Disneyland our first morning there, and my sister set her socks down. Like five minutes later, she turned around and they were gone. Yeah...the dog ate them. It was pretty hilarious.

I don't have any dogs right now, but I desperately want to get one. Unfortunately, we have to wait until we're out of the apartment complex and in a place that actually has a yard. I'd really like to get a Great Dane, but I'm planning on adopting a dog from our local animal shelter, so I doubt I'll find one of those there.

6. Venusian31

Venusian31 New Member

I know exactly what you mean. All 4 of my dogs are rescues and some of them have medical needs, but they are worth it.

My Corgi mix has severe food allergies and has to be on a special diet. Every single thing he eats has to be monitored. The people who had him didn't want to deal with it and were going to take him to the humane society. A mutual friend called me and I didn't hesitate. I took him in.

My Elkhound/Lab mix looks just like a German Shepherd and she had an extremely large umbilical hernia as a puppy and no one wanted her. The shelter had her at the pet food store, offering her for free in an effort to find her a home, and still no one would take her. She looked so sad. I couldn't resist. I'm so glad I didn't. She's a wonderful, loving dog and a joy to have. Well worth the cost of surgery.

My male Saint Bernard, Titan, has epilepsy and will require care and monitoring for life, but he's also a complete sweetheart and I can't imagine life without him in it. He's extremely attached to me and follows me everywhere, including the bathroom. I'm still trying to teach him to stay in the hallway instead of squeezing into the bathroom with me.

My female Saint Bernard, Tabu, was also brought to my attention by a friend. She had Parvo and the people who had her didn't have the money to try to save her life, especially since there was no guarantee she would survive in the end. I agreed to take her and pay the expenses myself. It was the longest week of my life and very touch and go. They weren't sure she would survive, but she did. The vet bill cost me $2500 but she is worth every penny. She also has spay incontinence, which is common in large breeds, and she doesn't make puddles, she makes ponds. I love her anyway and she is very loyal to me.

All my dogs are extremely loyal to me and I know they would give their lives to protect mine in an instant. They're my family, as much as any person would be. Dogs are the perfect example of unconditional love.

7. Venusian31

Venusian31 New Member

Do an internet search for Great Dane Rescues in your area. They have them all over the country and those rescue dogs need good homes just like the dogs in local animal shelters. In fact, animal shelters frequently place their large breed dogs with rescue organizations because they have a better chance of adoption than at the local shelter. That's why you don't see them at the shelters very often. Large breed dogs are very hard to find homes for because they are so expensive to take care of and need more space. People like to look at them but don't want to take them home.

8. hiddennovelist

Ooh, I'll check that out, then! Thanks for the tip. :)

9. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I don't know about man's best friend; when I worked for ups, I only met loud aggressive ones..:/

10. hiddennovelist

Heh, when I delivered pizza, I had a dog run out of the house and bite me. The chick who owned didn't apologize or even tip me...mean. But most of the dogs I encountered were nice to me.

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

My dogs absolutely love me. When I get on the floor, they like to lay right next to me and snuggle.

When it's thundering, I sit with them and my arms around the one that's terrified of the noise.

12. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

what? that sounds like a lawsuit right there...you should have started foaming at the mouth....:eek:

13. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

I only ever had one dog in my life, and only for a year. I was about fourteen at the time. It was a chocolate Labrador. He was all right. Both demonic and angelic. When with any of the female units[yes female units is a term. its when there aren't enough males in the house to count them. so any parental and sibling unit it included in a one single female unit] he would come back home from or a play outside he would come back frisky, would misbehaved, he wanted to continue playing. And wanted mass amounts of affection, something I don't give. He would be bark and whine. It was a bloody nightmare. But then whenever he was with me, he was calm, I gave him attention only when he was like this.

I'm more of a cat person. Dogs ask for to much. More than I can give them.

Also when I was about 9 or 10, my grandmum use to have a Akita Chow Chow mix. And I think that dog settled my mind on what dogs were. The dog was extremely mean and extremely temperamental. He had particular habit of well beating up on me. He loved my sibling unit number one. But for me. He'd knock me off my bike. One time he bit me. Another time he took my shoe. And refused to give it back. And when I did almost get it my shoe, he shoved me down.

I'm being serious. This dog had it out for me. He wouldn't let me ride my bike. He bit me several times. From that point I knew dogs as evil and horrible.

At 14 I think the lab changed my mind a little bit. But I still have that memory of that stupid evil wicked cruel animal.

14. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

My parents' friends have this giant Great Dane named Mo. He's deaf, but he's the sweetest thing you'll ever meet, I love him so much. :) He always cuddles with me when I come over, and he has this habit of sitting on people, so he sits on me. :D

15. hiddennovelist

Right?? If my dog bit a delivery person, I would be like "dude, how much do I need to tip you to keep you from calling Animal Control?" My coworkers were pretty pissed, they wanted to call someone, but I didn't want to start anything. The dog didn't seem particularly aggressive, I think he was just freaked out because there were so many people at the house--they were throwing a party or something.

Dude, your experience with the dog who had it out for you is actually why I hate cats so much--because my husband's cat was the same way with me! Everyone thinks I'm paranoid, but I swear to god...that cat wanted to kill me.

Great Danes. :love: I wish I could move into a house already!!

16. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Dogs are evil, and definitely not (wo)man's best friend. I got chased around a park by one, amongst other things, so I think I'm justified saying that. :p

17. J.P.Clyde

No one ever questioned or doubted me at least. Actually I remember one time my uncle had to get the dog off of me. The dog had knocked me down. And I was nine at the time, so he weighed more than me. Let's say the dog was trying to gain his dominance on a nine year old boy and that my uncle was the only one who had noticed. The dog was quite heavy, he was bigger than me at the time. So my uncle had to help me get him off.

No one ever doubted the situation. I think the last situation we had, that made my grandmum make the decision of putting him down. Was another bike situation. The dog, as stated, never let me ride my bike. In the backyard it was always a fight with him winning, I was nine, my bike. All the time.

We decided to take it in the front. The bike away from the dog. I don't know what one of my sibling units was thinking, but number one decided to take him out in front with us. I begged her to take him back to the backyard, but she said I had to conquer my fear. I'm nine, the dog is bigger than me. Heavier than me. Yeah, conquer my fear of something bigger than me. A clearly rational fear.

Well dog eyes bike. I eye dog eyeing bike. But thinking sibling one still has a hold of his leash, I decide to go ride it like planned. I realize now that the bike was his and that I kept playing with his territory, but original that was my bike.

Dog goes dashing down the street after me and the bike. Sibling unit is part to blame of my fear of animals far bigger than me or nearly the size of me. Dog tackles me and bike down. And he bites me. I bet it was a "why the fudge you touching my bike."

Yeah I have a battle wound on my elbow from the time a dog terrorized me.

18. Link the Writer

I never saw a Great Dane before, but I'm told they're the biggest dog in all of Canine-dom. Bigger than Greyhounds.

Interesting then that my brain decided to give me nightmares about demonic Great Danes even though I find them interesting.

19. hiddennovelist

Yikes! I think people questioned me because the cat was very sneaky about his terrorizing. When other people were around, he was totally chill, but as soon as it was just me, he would attack me, bite me, claw me, etc...ugh. Terrible.

Dude, they're huge! Here you go: me and Joel's aunt's Great Dane.

[​IMG]

20. Link the Writer

That's a big dog. (and that's her sofa you're sitting on?)

Sheer size and awesomeness are unparallel.

Just a Q about breed: Is a Cocker Spaniel a huge dog as well? I've heard that Spaniel dogs can be both large and small.

21. J.P.Clyde

ahahahaa. Misses she isn't that kind of evil. Misses will let you straight up know when she doesn't like you. Swashing around her raccoon tail and merwaring.

Holy lord. Now I don't like great Danes. Sure they look sweet and innocent. But dogs are evil period.

22. Link the Writer

Then you will not enjoy being at my house, even though my dogs are the sweetest ones around. (one's got a back problem, though.)

Forgive me, but I can't help but feel paranoid when you keep going on about dogs being evil. Makes me think you want to do harm on them.

Again, sorry if I upset you, but felt like sharing it.

23. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Grate Danes are not the biggist dogs a (enter country i cant remember want to say germin or british maybe bull something) mastiff is

Their heads about as big as most steering wheels

24. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I must have the sweetest dog on earth. He's a very good listener, loves people, never bites, just perfect. He only hates cats. :D

25. Link the Writer

Mine too. They're excitable, but don't want to bite. Worse they do is sniff and jump at people.