What is the best laptop for writing?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by U.G. Ridley, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Same here. I don't touch-type, so I hate reaching across that wasted space below the keyboard on a laptop. I have an old-ish Dell PC laptop, but only use it when I have to go somewhere for a while and want to write (unless I'm just going out to, say, a coffee shop. Then I take my Tandy 102, speaking of great keyboards.).

jannert likes this.
  2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Don't you remember those commercials from the '90s? PCs are the boring business computers and Macs are crazy hip and poppin' fresh for some reason.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

As I'm a rebel and like to live life on the edge I just plug a keyboard and monitor into my laptop when I'm working at home (although ive also got an Imac to run vellum and adobe CS )

4. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

When it comes to the keyboard, well, that's very personal. I happen to like the flat Mac-style keyboards, and like to type on MacBooks. I cannot go back to those large long travel mechanical-style keyboards that so many seem to prefer – they just appear clunky to me. But, to each his own. Though, when it comes to laptops, there's not much choice than to get flats, it seems (unless you want to pack an additional keyboard).

Software is more important to me. For instance, I happen to write a lot in both English and German, and often code and math. German keyboard layout devote a lot of keys to the German diacritics (Umlaute, üäß etc.), making it hard to get brackets that you need for code or math. So I am used to English keyboard layouts. How to reach German diacritics on those? In macOS and most Linux (depending on the installed UI package), there's a simple way that just needs to be activated in the System Preferences – on Linux, it's called the Compose key, and on Mac it works very similar. Those work system-wide, in all programs.

Windows, OTOH, never had anything comparable. There were some limited keyboard shortcuts (like to get the Spanish tilde, ñ, or accents like é), but those were not working system-wide, and seem to have vanished in Windows 10. The standard OS solutions are clunky – either install a keyboard language switcher (if you happen to know how Windows internally handles keyboard layouts and languages, you would want to avoid these – heck, I even try to avoid to even install anything other than "English (US)". Even trying "English (UK)" made problems), or using Alt-Gr+number pad to type in Unicodes (which means knowing the Unicode of the symbol you want. When writing German on an US keyboard, I had a post-it with the relevant codes stuck to my monitor. For some reason, I never managed to learn those codes. The Mac/Linux keyboard shortcuts I had learned within minutes). Sure, there are 3rd party solutions, but that's never as good as a OS standard. It seems that Microsoft never understands what people actually need. Not only here, but all over the place – but I guess that's a discussion for some other place.

5. More

More Active Member

This thread is quite old , so I'm sure there is a lot of repetition. Anyway. I don't fully understand the mac cult . In the past when computers did not function very well, Apple machines stood out as the exception. Now that is no longer true . To me macs are over priced and not as good as their older machines . I like chrome books, and can be bought at a bargain price . But the software is restricted, for writers , to Google Docs . Linovo has always had the best keyboard for writers and the range of machines is good . Everything from the flex 6 , that can be used as a lap top or tablet, or a basic machine costing a fraction of the price of the much loved mac book , but with a better keyboard.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The only reason ive found for a mac as a self published author is that Vellum (formatting software) can't run on PC/Linux... you can use Mac in Cloud but it clunks if you don't have a high speed connection

and the best keyboard for writers is undoubtedly one you plug in, the position of the keyboard on any laptop is a recipe for RSI if you write a couple of hundred thousand words on it

(incidentally the reason this thread keeps coming to the top is that it keeps getting spammed with buy best laptop here type spam - i deleted the latest one 30 mins ago)

7. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

You can use virtual Mac services to use Vellum on PC, apparently:
    https://paulteague.com/how-to-use-vellum-on-a-pc/

8. big soft moose

that's what i was referring to with mac in the cloud - ive done it, but it sucks up a lot of bandwith and has a tendency to fall over if someone else in the house is also using a streaming service or something at the same time

so i bought a second hand iMac for £350

Naomasa298 likes this.
  9. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I've probably said it elsewhere, but I use Sigil when I do formatting. It's Windows based, it's free, and I didn't have any problems figuring out how to use it, but I did have to refresh my knowledge of HTML to do things just right, but I don't think it's necessary to know. It should be noted though, that I've never used Vellum and I don't typically self publish, so take this advice for what it is.

10. big soft moose

theres also jutoh for formating on a PC... had i found it first i'd probably have gone that route, but having bought vellum I may as well use it

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  11. Susan Miller

Susan Miller New Member

If you're looking a laptop for writing, focus more on it's keyboard like key-spaces, design, backlit, etc...

12. big soft moose

Nah - keyboard is one of the least important features, not least because many writers use usb or wireless keyboards since writingon a laptop keyboard can be a recipe for RSI

jannert likes this.
  13. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

Currently Reading::
    JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    Just for writing without distractions, if you can't afford a Mac, try a Raspberry Pi.
    Best app for writers? Vim is already installed on it, and other editors, just in case you don't feel like learning Vi.

But if you can turn writing for an excuse good enough to invest on a Mac, by all means go for it.

14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It sure can. They are so uncomfortable, requiring flat hands and extended fingers. I suppose they're okay if you aren't a 10-fingered typist, and just do hunt and peck with two fingers. But I bloody HATE laptop keyboards.

Desktop keyboards—at least the older ones—were designed for ergonomic ease of work, for the ten-fingered folk. Laptop keyboards are designed to be easily portable.

I have both a Mac Mini desktop with old stepped keyboard AND a much newer 13-inch MacBook Air. Guess which one is most comfortable to use?

They are both really good machines, but I only use one of them unless I'm actually out and about. Then it's grrr grrrr grrrr till I get home, back to my old keyboard again. I always get some pain along my knuckles, using the flat keyboard.

15. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

Currently Reading::
    JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    Sorry, I can't resist...
    [​IMG]

jannert likes this.
  16. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I have an Acer espire F15. It can cope with adobe full package without too much fuss and other complex and needy software. I have an apple mac but that wants to update for hours on end and quite frankly the Acer just gets on with the job, so the mac looks pretty and gathers dust...

17. jannert

Oh, very funny. Nope.
    Screenshot 2020-03-08 at 12.15.01.png

Attached Files:

18. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

Sorry, but nope. Old keyboards were designed to be like typewriters, because that's what everyone at the time was trained to be typed on, when there WAS actually training on typing with 10-fingers. No one looked into if it were actually the best or most ergonomic way to type into a computer, even when they sold their new keyboard as 'ergonomic.'

Nowadays, there's no training on 10-finger-typing anymore, hence the stance of many like big soft moose and me that it doesn't matter much – one just has to feel comfortable with it and try it out. Which strongly depends on what you have been trained and experienced.

I personally like flat, low-travel keyboards, as long as they have some form of physical feedback. The olden long-travel, clicky, Cherry and similars are just too clunky now. I can work surprisingly well with a touchscreen keyboard, too, at least when it's big enough like on a tablet, but it's definitely not my preference. And I draw the line at changing the layout too much*. Stay away with the Dvorak-nonsense!

But, whatever you like.

(*I came to like the US-QWERTY. With the tools my Mac offers, I can type German, English, math and code quite easily with it without thinking. I thought I can live with a UK layout, for the larger enter-key, but surprisingly, there are some simple, but annoying, difference on it that took me a long time to train myself on and get used to.)

Vaughan Quincey and jannert like this.
  19. jannert

Maybe it's all what you get used to, eh?