1. art

art Contributor Contributor

Christmas stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by art, Dec 4, 2011.

Of course, more a time for giving than receiving, so, in that spirit, what do you hope to be given this year?

As always, I've written a very specific (with Amazon links!) list of books and dvds that I want. Any deviation from that list is likely to result in grave disappointment/ feigned delight.

How do you and yours go about deciding what presents to get: lists? Subtle hints over the year? Horror of horrors: genuine surprises?

Terrible father though my dad was he has perfected Christmas gift giving as far as I'm concerned: One rather shabby, plain envelope bearing my name. No card. Large cheque. Every year. Without fail.

2. Cacian

Cacian Banned

That sounds like a very generous caring father.
    why beat around the bush when all one really needs is cash to do with it as one pleases.
    I would say that is a perfectly nice sounding man you father is I say.
    There is so much one can give to their kids and after a while, pass a certain age I think parents ought to participate in helping out in terms of money,if an when they can, because that is a sure of knowing that at least their money was not wasted on a gift their kids might not want or already have.
    I have not got a plan of any sort in terms of working Christmas yet because we tend to go skiing as a treat.

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

... Because the act of thinking about what gift to give someone means a lot more. Because Christmas isn't about giving people money. It's about being together with people you love and spending time with them, and showing them that you care more about their company than you do about money.

4. Yasin

Yasin New Member

Im not really a 'gift' person. I prefer to do things like go away for the weekend. If I was ever asked what i'd like for christmas I really wouldnt know what to suggest.

5. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Is it ranked in order of preference? I guess you also need to keep track then on who's buying you what.

I've done most of my Christmas shopping. :cool: For once, I'm quite organised. Not based on any list, but stuff I hope they'll
    like (and don't have!)

6. Lavender Soda

Lavender Soda New Member

I'm not a very good gift giver, but I usually give others something like special cookies or chocolates.

My parents usually get me something they know I'll like. They usually get me journals, chocolates, incense, and all that good stuff.

If I spot something like some kind of software on Amazon, I send my mom the link as a big hint.

7. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

I don't like the idea of giving gifts to others, especially if you don't know what they would like or want. So you end up buying something, you give it to a person, the person smiles and says thank you, but deep down finds it as a burden. Don't want to throw it away because that would make the person feel bad about it, if puts it away, it still nags the mind, because its useless and collects dust.
    Giving just money would be the best, the most practical, choice but that just feels wrong...
    So, yeah, I guess the best idea would be something sweet, or anything edible, best if with a twist of some kind, maybe if the food item looks slightly... or not.

8. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Finally something who understands a few things. Seriously, does anyone ever in the history of mankind thought "Hey, I think want socks this year"? No? Then why do people keep giving stupid gifts to each other all the time? I don't give out many presents, but when I do, every single one of them are well thought-out and have an actual chance of making the people who gets them happy. As a result, most people I give gifts to say I'm pretty good at gift-finding. :) But seriously, if everyone could just give me some money, I'll be perfectly fine with it. I don't need another rocket alarm clock, another three-pack of socks, another ugly sweater, another Homer Simpson pizza slicer (I don't even like the Simpsons) or another book I'm never gonna read.

9. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

Same here. I'd rather get cash as a present.
    Why waste money on something the receiver won't even like? Just give 'em money so they'll buy something likable themselves. And if that feels weird then don't give them anything at all, just spend some good time together! Unspoiled by pointless gifts.
    Socks, shirts, quite random books, utensils of some kind, etc, etc, not a good idea.
    I hope I never get more socks, if I do I'll have a sweet revenge next year.

10. Pea

Pea super pea!

I usually get people food of some kind, books on a topic they're interested in, or money. I actually like getting socks because mine keep being devoured by the washing machine.

11. WriterDude

I keep loosing socks too, but I think presents should be getting something you want, not something you need. If I need something, I'll buy it.

12. arron89

arron89 Banned

I'm kinda the opposite....I only buy stuff I want, not stuff I need...so socks and things like that are pretty good christmas presents for me...I can't stand the thought of wasting my hard earned cash on something as boring as socks...

13. WriterDude

Hehe, I wish I was that lucky. I need to buy stuff like food, clothes, household stuff, gas for the car and so on and on. Not to mention paying rent on my house and paying for electricity. After everything is paid, I'm lucky if I can afford socks in the first place. :p

14. Lavender Soda

Lavender Soda New Member

I actually ask for socks for Christmas, usually the fuzzy ones or knee high ones or some with fancy designs on them.

15. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Yes, it's all about socks it seems.

I realise I haven't answered the question, at all. I always like good things to read, watch or listen to.