Tags:
  1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

What is there about the Man Booker Prize, anyway?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jannert, Oct 19, 2018.

I just looked up the Man Booker Prize winner for this year (Milkman, by Anna Burns) and started reading the first part on the Look Inside feature on Amazon. And gave up after the first couple of pages.

The prose style is, to my mind, unreadably arty-farty. She uses the art of the run-on sentence to create ...what? Stream of consciousness? But you can create stream of consciousness with regular sentences that come to a halt now and again. Stream of consciousness is more about following trains of thought, not charging along like a freight train with brakes that don't work. I found myself exhausted trying to follow what she was on about. It's probably very worthy. Something about a milkman. But geez.

I do wish the givers of this prize would make 'readability' more of a requirement for the winner.

matwoolf likes this.
  2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

<---

3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    From what little I know, unreadability is one of the main criteria. If you want to understand a book, stick to Dr. Seuss :)

jannert likes this.