What is your #1 writing tip?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by writerr, Jun 30, 2013.

1. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I like JetBlackGT's advice. Really inspires to write!

My own: before you can tell the story, you have to master the language. It's difficult to get your amazing story across if your tools, the words, don't work.

(by the way, this doesn't mean I can master the language I'm writing in, not yet)

It doesn't mean one shouldn't try to speak the native tongue of the country they visit. I must admit I sometimes feel like pretending I don't speak it when tourists ask for directions or whatever. "Hell, you people came to a country whose official language is not English and you haven't prepared for that? You've got an iPhone right there, where's your dictionary app? Mwahhahhaaa!"

2. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

This is good advice, If Possible, try and live in a different country too, that helps, I did for a while a few years back and picked up a second language, which helped with the understanding of my mother tongue, English (and for those of you wondering, my second language is French)

3. iolair

iolair Active Member

This. If you want to write, WRITE!

4. B. anthracis

B. anthracis New Member

When I read, I keep a pencil nearby so that I can highlight certain words, phrases, or anything else that might help me. Or I'll note description of weather, people, etc. or anything else that I might be struggling with in my own writing. I don't take stuff out of books word for word and call it my own but maybe a facial feature like lines on someone's face is something that I'd been missing. Suddenly, I have what I'd been looking for.

But, if one cannot learn or has no need to learn from other writers, I salute them.

Oh, and my tip is the same as many others: Roofers roof, judges judge, writers write. So write.

5. NathanWrites

NathanWrites New Member

An additional tip: Since great characters are often born from real experience, don't forget to live, to travel, to observe. Your days should be filled with input!