What is your best genre?

Discussion in 'Horror' started by Stephen King, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

Sci-fi for me too. I find fantasy to be utterly cliche-ridden for the most part.

I alos agree that LOTR is a very boring story, it's just sooo damned predictable all the way through.

2. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

any type of horror really, fantasy-horror, Gothic-horror, ghost-horror, adventure-horror, modern-day-horror (not the right term but it's like Cabin Fever)

My only problem is that I never finish anything. I'll get motivated for something, write maybe 10 pages then I'll come back to it and be like, "uhhh, that story sucks; sounds too made up; where's it going?"

All I know is, the two worst things that have ever happened to me are, getting in a car wreck and almost dying and having my novel erased from my computer.

Then again I also enjoy writing comedy. But that's different; it's like little skits or role playing. I like having a funny character in serious situations. Almost like doing a parody of D&D but cooler Story lines, like the world's being taken over by Demons and Ghouls.

3. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

I've seen some people online who spit at the notion of "genre" as they feel like it's labelling something to the point whereby it follows cliches or becomes stagnant of original ideas.

Personally, I think that way of thinking is a load of shit. Thinking in terms of genre should be synonymous as headlines/guidelines. It's the job of the writer whether his/her work is actually good or not regardless what genre it happens to be under.

I love gothic fantasy, science fiction, and sometimes adventure.

I haven't much experience with all those as I mainly read them, but I am currently writing something which definitely, without any shred of doubt, comes under the gothic fantasy genre. Very controversial stuff as well! :cool:

4. Peter

Peter New Member

My writing is straight realism, but I do like reading horror and some thriller. And actually, as a kid, Stephen King was my first literary hero.

But to be honest, nowadays I find it hard empathising with most protagonists in genre fiction. The reason is that they're nearly always two-dimensional middle- or upper-class class do-gooders, fighting against two-dimensional bad guys. It's boring, there is nothing in most of this fiction for the average Joe to empathise with. And it's also the same for Hollywood. I know that what separates genre fiction from realism is that genre fiction is supposed to suspend all notions of reality, but does that have to include characterisation?

But there are exceptions. Stephen King is one of them, as is Raymond Chandler.

5. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

I posted sci-fi/fantasy, but someone reminded me recently that I've actually got more kudos for my non-fiction than my fiction.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy is what I like to write though.

6. KaitonLocke

KaitonLocke New Member

Fantasy, Romance, and some fanfiction. It's easy to write those three for me. I CAN do Sci-Fi, but I prefer to avoid that genre.

7. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

Hehe, onii's awesome at writing. Everybody should read his fanfics and stories. It's a worthwhile read. :-D

I might've said this before in this topic but my main thing is Fantasy. I am in the fantasy genre, but I put action, adventure, and romance tangled all into the plotline. I am notorious for that in other forums such as the Anime-Forums that Kaiton and I attend.

8. Quillpen

Quillpen New Member

realistic fiction/future realistic fiction.

9. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

Em...probably sci/fi fantasy and humor/comedic romance. I wrote movie reviews for years and got lots of positive reviews...but I don't know if I'd call that a genre. Journalism perhaps.

10. Jan_Joubert

Jan_Joubert New Member

mmm i've only ever wrote science fiction, in the cyberpunk subgenre.

i think i'll switch to magical realism afterwards :)

11. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Let's see novels are fantasy but of two very different kinds (one is high fantasy with a new world the other an old couple investigating the paranormal on Earth), then I have a chick lit I am writing, I write some humour short stories. I have a thriller/mystery planned. One that is weird and I don't know what genre it is, and some childrens books.

12. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I don't really have a genre that I mostly write. I'd say I'm best at writing for children, but that's not really a genre and you have genres within children's fiction anyway. I'm more just into writing general fiction.

13. Dandroid

Dandroid New Member

speculative fiction/magic realism

14. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Dark and twisted, with humor. Mixing every day elements with horror/sf/fantasy.

15. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I think what i like the most and do best is some kind of romantic suspence. that is also the genre i prefer to read. i think writing the one or the other would be too boring as i would miss the other element but combining them is the best for me.