1. Emmy

Emmy New Member

Scene help

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Emmy, May 12, 2009.

I don't know if this is "legal" on the forums, but while working this morning, I found an old worksheet for scenes that has helped me clarify my thoughts immensely while editing/rewriting. I don't recall where I got it, who I got it from, so I'm unable to credit the appropriate source.

Anyhoo - in the event that it's helpful to someone else, I give you "Scene Questions".

1. Which character in the scene do I have the most affection for? How can I make the reader feel appreciated or compassion for that character in this scene?

2. Is there a character in this scene who threatens the protagonist subtly or openly, psychologically or physically?

3. Is the point of view of the scene that of the character who is most affected by what happens in the scene?

4. Is the scene described in terms of the action that takes place? The reader is moved by seeing what happens to the characters engaged with each other.

5. Is the scene visible throughout so that the reader can see what's happening before his eyes?

6. Does the ending thrust the reader into the next scene? Does the reader long to find out what happens next?

These are all important questions to ask one's self after writing a scene; in a perfect world, all of these questions are answered during the writing. However, since it's not a perfect world, I find these simple exercises really helpful for ensuring I haven't left something out, or written my story into confusing little circles.

1 person likes this.
  2. Nikita88

Nikita88 New Member

Ah that's great! Thank you Emmy! Going through all my chapters now, I was kind of suffering from some down time. Hopefully this'll get the mind thinking again :)

3. Romendacil

Romendacil New Member

You ARE aware that these questions only work in a certain situation right?
    At any given time you might as well not pay heed to any of the issues portrayed here and you can still make a scene work.
    And I can't think of a scene where I'd only think of these 6 questions.

4. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

excellent worksheet thingy, good points. Depends entirely on the story, but good thread nevetheless. plus rep.

5. JavaMan

JavaMan New Member

Terribly excellent!!