What is your ultimate writing dream???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Manutebecker, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

I don't care about money or fame, but I would love to get published. I would love to write something that touches people, that stays with them long after they've put it down.

I can only dream.

2. seymoore999

seymoore999 New Member

Ultimate dream is becoming a respected novelist living around San Francisco but with enough money to also keep a home in Mississippi. Buy back the family farm sort of. Writing is my only true passion and at 28 I have settled into a comfortable life with a family and what to many is a good job but it's not what I want.

I fantasize that I can change the world with my words by writing something new that makes people think about our culture and society and how we should all encourage honesty and keep our minds perpetually open.

I just joined this forum recently to try out some things and am joining our local writer's guild but in truth I think I am going to fade away with nothing accomplished.

3. miasmatic7

miasmatic7 New Member

Question's not at all clichéd in my opinion. :)

I write to escape the drama in real life. Or sometimes I find reality to be exceptionally dull and boring, while immagination to be exciting and adventurous. I feel that ink and paper (or keyboards and computers) help to spice up, if I can say, the otherwise monotonous life.

4. rory

rory Active Member

Like FMK, I like to write things that I'd like to read myself. If other people like it, that's cool, if it gets published, sweet! If not, oh well.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'd like to have a couple novels published, amd have people enjoy them. If I could earn a decent living doing it, so much the better. Then I could afford to teach college math and science instead of scrambling after the cheese in the software development rat maze.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I would love - just love! - to get everything in my head onto paper, but alas! I have too much.

Aside from that, I would like to beable to do this for a living. I don't expect I will, but it would be great if I could. But I don't emulate novelists, I emulate writers. One sentence of Pynchon or Poe means a hell of a lot more to me than a novel by King or Koontz, though I would gladly read all four.

7. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

I write because I have a story to tell. I hope when I have finished all my friends and family will read it and then never talk to me again because of the shock.

Money would be nice, just enough so I can write another book, even more shocking :p

8. love2listen

love2listen New Member

I have no idea. I've never thought about it. The only things in life I have always done are sing and write.

I'd love to publish my memoir I'm writing. Other than that....hmmmm,,,,,

9. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

I'd love to have something published. I'd love it if people read my stuff. Writing is how I express myself and it like any artist it's nice to think that your work can have an impact on people's lives.

Does it have to be a New York Times Bestseller? No but I sure wouldn't complain if it was ;)

10. Toxic.Ox

Toxic.Ox New Member

I have never seen myself becoming a published writer and to live off it, as i have other goals and dreams with medicine.:p But i would like to experience the thrill of publishing a book, and people liking it. Well that us just me i don't know, does that make me selfish?:confused:

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm of muchthe same mind, Ox. All I really meant was that it would be pretty cool if a novel I manage to publish were successful enough to keep me financially secure. Sort of like winning the lottery.

It is a dream thread, after all. :)

12. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Published.

and this

13. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

My ultimate writing dream.. mind you it is only a dream because I can't tell stories :(

Work full time for a while while establishing my writing on the side. Get published, at least. Write a few books and get my words heard/read. One day become quite accepted or "liked" but not like a best seller. I'm not looking for J.K.Rowling status. Just want to write books that people like to read and make money. The ULTIMATE would be to earn enough from writing to not have to work. Or to cut my hours to part time.

What a dream...:rolleyes:

14. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I write to get younger...hasn't worked yet. LOL

15. Sphi

Sphi New Member

I would love to be able to publish some stuff when I'm older along with another job.

16. razumikhin

razumikhin New Member

Obviously I'd like to be published, but making a living off it? No thanks. I intend to make my money as a physicist :p

17. Emmy

Emmy New Member

Hmm. This is a hard one. I war between fame and riches, and the creative outlet writing provides.

I really want to sell books. I want my career to be writing novels. I want to have people read my books and enjoy them. I want to impact people's lives with my stories. I want to help financially support my family, whether it be by a landslide or just as another salary. I want to add, "writer" after my name as my profession. I want to feel that bursting satisfaction of doing exactly what I love and want every single day, and getting paid for it.

I'm not a snob, someone who only writes for the upper crust, out of principle. I like real people who buy books in bookstores and read during their lunch hour and vacations. And I will readily admit that for me, since writing is essential to my life anyway - I'd really like to make a handsome salary doing it.

18. starseed

starseed New Member

I have BIG dreams for my writing, and my life in general.

As far as money, I don't care too much about that. I want enough to support myself in a very basic way. I'd be fine if I only made as much money off writing as I would make at an average minimum wage job (which is all I've ever worked in my life). As long as I could support myself and WRITE full time. I know writers make more than that in general, but any amount of money would be amazing.

I definitely want my work to be published and to make a name for myself. 1)because I love writing so much and 2)because I think I genuinly have a good heart and would love to be able to share some of the beauty I see in the world and in life with other people. If someone read something I wrote and it touched their heart, it would make my entire life worth it. I know if I was famous, that would give me a voice in the world and give me an opportunity to work on some of my other goals (my fiction work aside, I'd love to be able to write something spiritual or of the self help variety, and I know if I was "a big name" I'd have a bit more influence and more people might listen to what I had to say-but I understand this would also get me an = amount of haters)

My really big CHEESY dream is of course, to have my books take off, become popular, next thing I know I'm on Oprahs book club, they are making movies inspired by my books(maybe I even become a screenwriter) starring all the big names in Hollywood, and I meet some hot actor or director at an awards show, fall madly in love, and live in the LA hills somewhere in a cool house with solar panels and we both will do psa's to support all our cool and left wing political and environmental interests. We have cute little children and are harassed by the paparazi and then I write all my spiritual books and become some sort of awesome guru and some crazy person assassinates me because he hates my ideals, and I become like John Lennon, immortalized in all my glory because I was martyred way before my time. 300 years later my books are thought of as classics and people would say things like "she was way ahead of her time" or "a legend". :D

Sorry. I went off on a tangent there. Only half of that is within the realm of my realistic dream. But the title did say "Ultimate" dream! ;)

19. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

I write predominantly as an outlet and a hobby. It just allows me to escape for a while and immerse myself in a differnt world. Just browsing through random ideas I've jotted down, and building on one, then maybe finishing and polishing it one day, something I can be proud of.

I don't have the desire to be published or anything similar, I'm comfortable just with writing for the fun (sometimes pain) of it; however on the off-chance if I got a short story published somewhere, so be it.

I remember when I first started writing 'seriously,' I thought 'I want to move someone,' so if I had an ultimate dream with writing, that would be it: to move someone, whether it be laugh or cry, even if it's only a family member or friend.

20. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

getting paid for writing something I can tolerate.
    However at the moment I'm just writing as a pastime, mostly anyway.
    Trying to improve my poetry and whatnot, trying to be able to write as well at all times as I do on rare occasions of immmense inspiration and insight.

21. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

My dream is to live comfortably off the coast of some beautiful country (like India) have a few novels published, and write both stories and music. I am first and foremost a writer, and music is my hobby.

Dreams can be depressing sometimes...

22. Chime Elf

Chime Elf New Member

I would just love to see my name is a bookstore, to see my book being read by others. I wouldn't turn away from money, fame, or a place as a New York Bestseller, but my true goal is just to see the enjoyment others get in reading a world I've created.

23. JavaMan

JavaMan New Member

Starseed, I feel you...

I like to write as a form of actualizing myself - and as a form to teach others to do the same. :)

24. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

My dream is to write a story that genuinely entertains someone.

25. BG_Hambone

BG_Hambone New Member

Somewhere beyond happiness and sadness, a place to
    My real dream is to finish these short, choppy, chunks of fiction stored away in various places in my bedroom/laptop hard drive/usb flash drives (as a back-up, of course) and compile them into one large collection.

I will then have the pages printed and bound professionally, and leave the book for my good friend Kayla to find somewhere in her house/apartment/dorm as a thank-you for all the editing, titling, and reviewing she has done for me over these past four years.

As for the fame/money/other, I say "meh."