1. Greendog

Greendog New Member

Musicians?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Greendog, Oct 13, 2009.

Any musicians on these forums? I'm a composer myself; just wondering if there are any others on here.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a lyricist in need of a composer... if you feel like setting some words to music, drop me a line...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. M9A8E6S4TO

M9A8E6S4TO New Member

Music is my life. I'm attending Berklee College of Music right now, and I'm in about fifteen bands.

4. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I play acoustic guitar, and soon electric as well. But I'm not too big on mastering the instrument; I don't study theory. Mostly because I learned the stuff on my own, and when I attempted to sift through the boredom of music theory lessons online, I found that I already knew most of what I was seeing. Besides, I've always been much more interested in the guitars themselves than in playing them.

5. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

wish i played an instrument worth a crap. played flute for a while, own some pretty awesome bamboo flutes, but can't play too much on them...

i sing and write songs (the lyrics and melodies anyway)

used to be in a street band in japan ;) twas the funness

i really want to get a bass, because that's the learnablest of the guitars ;) plus, female bassists are inherently hot... :p

6. arron89

arron89 Banned

I play guitar and piano, and can sorta almost make a violin sound pretty (almost)....my boyfriend plays drums, piano and cello and graduated top of his class in composition (he has a BMus)...we both sing....he's ina band......shameless plug...yeah, music is kickass......

7. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I sing and play viola and piano. I was far more involved with music when I was in high school than I am now, but I still love it. I'm just much busier now...

8. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

Gosh i wish i had a grand.

9. John Carlo

John Carlo Active Member

I've spent the last 10 years producing digital music (mainly hip-hop instrumentals). I took up guitar this past year. Focusing my creative energy on writing at the moment but still pursue music licensing and publishing whenever I can.

10. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I sing, play saxaphone, a bit of piano, and am learning guitar. I was in a couple bands, but none at the moment.

11. SayWhatNow?

SayWhatNow? New Member

I play guitar at the moment, and love it almost as much as writing. The most I can play at the moment is Canon, though.

On a somewhat unrelated note:

Pentatonic scales sound awesome.

12. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

For the majority of my High School life I was known as the skinhead (non-racist sort, I promise) who played bass in a punk band. Even had to sing for a while - punk isn't a genre which takes much talent. Unfortunately, I've been busy being a hermit for the past four years of my life. So no music making lately.

:(

13. UnknownBearing

UnknownBearing New Member

I only played Viola since 3rd grade until I taught myself Piano around 1 year ago. Drums are fine too.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Tenor sax, but I'm way out of practice.

15. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I play bass. As a left-handed bassist, finding equipment is extremely frustrating.

16. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

I can play bass and guitar, and I can keep the beat on a drum set. I enjoy music theory, learning chord construction and scales, but I never learned to read music very well.

I used to plug into distortion and play through scales rapidly between power chords, double picking and hitting harmonics, bending them to squeal, but the last few years I’ve stuck to finger picking on a cheap acoustic guitar, playing nostalgic video game music or whatever.

17. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Just viola I've been playing for about four years. I definitely think it's a ton of fun, but I am not a protege or anything close, so I don't see myself playing it ten or so years from now. Other than that, I'm played piano, and also did some handbells for local churches, but other than that I've been playing around with poetry and song lyrics a lot lately, not so much theory, but making tunes and words and notes are very entertaining.

18. hiddennovelist

Just viola? If I had to pick only one instrument to know how to play, it would be the viola. Violas are underappreciated instruments. :p

19. TheHedgehog

I can't agree with you more! Everyone's always like, "Greg, do you need help carrying your violin?" (Because I have to walk to class with three binders and three textbooks in one hand, the viola in another), and I want to scream, "IT'S A VIOLA!"

I think they have a good balance: not too high like a violin but they can go pretty low, too, which I love. I just hate being lugged around with the seconds, annoying as hell.

Yesterday we had a sub for orchestra and she never even acknowledged the violas (my friend and I are the only ones in the orchestra), so we just went along and were seconds for a day.

It's maddening. :eek:

20. hiddennovelist

I'm with you, man. I was very fortunate in high school to get a teacher who recognized that violas were underappreciated and tried very hard to find music that gave us good parts and to arrange great clinicians to work with us. :) I think the greatest piece of music I ever played was Canon in D that had been transcribed for viola instead of violin. I changed one of the parts so a cellist could play it, and we performed it with three violists and a cellist for regionals. It was amazing.

21. TheHedgehog

I bet it was. :D I'm having a hard time finding good music for violas; do you have a file or anything like that for the Canon in D? If you have feel free to email it or something. Perhaps you've heard of Vitamin String Quartet? Type them in on Youtube or iTunes. I love them. :D

22. hiddennovelist

I've never heard of them, but I'll look them up now. Thanks! :)

Unfortunately, the music that I used was paid for by my high school's program (I was going to pay for it myself so I could keep it, but then my teacher bought it for me), and I graduated in 2004. If my teacher still worked there, I would go get it from him and email you a copy, but he lives in Alaska now, and from what I hear, the new teacher is kind of a jerk. I'll do some looking, though, and see if I can find it for you. It was some cool music, which is really rare when you're looking for music for viola.

Edit: Ohhhh my god, just looked them up. How cool!!! It's giving me chills just listening to them.

23. SayWhatNow?

SayWhatNow? New Member

I have recently rediscovered my recorder flute and have order a "12-hole sweet-potato Alto G" from songbird ocarina (say that to a rythym. It's stupidly fun.)

24. Never Master

Never Master New Member

Since I was 7 I've played Brass, but my specialty is undoubtedly the Trumpet.

After I got a bit older I found my singing voice and my knack for setting a pretty decent beat on a drum kit. Since then, the Trumpet has been able to keep me in practice but thats it. My true passion is with rock music and singing while I beat the skins.

Not a bad way to make a few bucks on Friday night.

25. Seafire

Seafire New Member

I play the Ocarina, and I am a singer a classical singer, none of that modern jibber jabber....