1. retardis

retardis Member

Currently Reading::
    Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph

What is your writing workflow?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by retardis, Apr 28, 2021.

I'm not a full-time writer so it is a bit difficult to fit writing into my schedule sometimes. University and its extensions take up a lot of my time. What I normally do is write down ideas (characters, plots, setting ideas, etc.) in my notebook during my study breaks. I try to make them as organized and utilizing as possible. I also like thinking about my plots when I'm walking somewhere. I think adding these habits helps me a lot with being able to notice things that inspire me with writing more especially since I can't write every day.
    My problem is that I don't have much time to sit down and write distraction-free for a long period of time. I only have fractions of time scattered throughout the day. I used to write before bed but now I don't have time for that and I need to sleep really early. I think having a consistent habit of writing helps a lot but I have dropped out of the cycle and it is a bit difficult to get back in. It is especially more difficult now that I don't really have an organized storyline in mind. I would like to know what those of you who don't pursue writing as your full-time occupation do. (I would love to hear about full-time writers' workflows too.)

2. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

In college? I'd write at night or honestly in class (instead of doodling, id write).
    Thats as good as it gets, unless you're disciplined enough to find a spot on campus and write (i did that for a while too, but people kept bothering me). Nothing was really consistent for me in college.

Now? I work, then i come home. So i can pretty much carve out a chunk of my at-home time to devote to writing.

3. Triduana

Triduana Member

When I'm short of time due to work commitments, I make use of any small break in the day. I write in a notebook and use the time in the morning while the kettle is boiling, in the afternoon when my tea's in the oven, and often part of my lunch hour too. If I'm travelling for work (bus, train, plane) it's all time I can spend writing. I spend a lot of time working outdoors, so I keep my notebook in my vehicle - sometimes there is a bit of time while I'm waiting for someone / something, or if the weather turns and I have to shelter. It's surprising how much time these little small breaks can add up.

petra4 likes this.
  4. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

The time to write is when you have something say, something you observed, something you learned. Writing is a form of sharing your insight into life and your real life experience. Fantasy is only tempered by reality, reality creates some form of fantasy as an escape, still always having a message or a purpose. Writing is just another form of communication; sometimes when you have nothing to say, nothing to share, it wise to remain silent. Writers block is the gift to the world, just as silence is the gift, when we could only pray that an idiot shut up instead of babbling on.

I have never understood those who somehow think that they have a mission to write, verses a mission to share insight. Every writer knows what it is like to be driven by a story they can't wait to share, an experience, that is a story. Maybe I am missing something, I have never claimed to be a writer, just a story teller.

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

A big part of the writing isn't done while you're actually typing, but just in your head—the conceptual part. Just thinking of stuff you want to happen in the story.

You can do that part anytime, as long as your mind isn't occupied with difficult or technical work. I find the best time for story thinking is when I'm doing drudgery work, simple repetitive work like mowing the lawn or washing dishes, that you don't need to think about. That frees up your mind to soar through the fantastic realms of fictional creation.

It does take an effort to stop your mind's tendency to think about the same dull meaningless gibberish over and over. I used to love to walk late at night, and at first I'd be thinking about parts of movies I had seen, or going over a recent conversation or one I might want to have with somebody. You have to realize you're wasting mental time and energy and turn your attention instead toward something more productive. A trick that works really well is to say something (internally, mentally) like "Ok, what kind of story do I want to write?" I've heard the mind described as a question-and-answer machine, and it definitely is that. So ask it a question and it will start churning, eager to give you the answer. It kicks the wheels into gear.

You also need to remember the stuff you come up with and, as soon as you get the chance, write it down. If you don't have much time, just jot quick reminder notes, then get to it as soon as you do have enough time and write it up in better form.

B.E. Nugent, RMBROWN and retardis like this.
  6. petra4

petra4 Active Member

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    I dropped out of writing for a period, now making it part of my daily life. Try these:
    writing before bed, regardless of going very early;
    1st thing in the morning &/or at breakfast;
    on the toilet (don't laugh)
    on public transport
    in your car
    during study period &/or at study breaks

retardis and B.E. Nugent like this.
  7. retardis

retardis Member

Yeah, I agree! I write when I'm on my way home or when I'm waiting for something. It adds up to a lot. Though I think having long undistracted periods would be amazing. (Even necessary.)

petra4 and Triduana like this.
  8. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I prefer writing in the morning before the day starts. If you're going to bed early, I assume its because your day starts early, so maybe this won't work for you. However, time for writing obviously needs to come from somewhere.

petra4 likes this.
  9. retardis

retardis Member

Writing is different than talking. Just how playing a sport is good for you, I think writing is also good for you. There's a huge difference between writing and making people read what you're writing. Writing doesn't always have to be a form of communication. It wasn't like that for me for the most part. Sometimes I just want to sit down and write some sci-fi or fantasy to forget about my problems for a while. Sometimes I just want to ground my imaginations and see them on paper instead of unorganized thoughts in my brain. (These are not the case all the time, but I think they're still valid reasons to write.) I think the mindset of "I'm only going to write when I know exactly what I want to communicate." could lead to laziness.
    But yeah, I'm also not a huge fan of FORCING myself to sit down for 2 hours to write even when my mind is entirely blank. But I don't think fighting writer's block is a bad thing. :)

petra4 and J.T. Woody like this.
  10. retardis

retardis Member

The struggle is real. :) I always notice myself thinking about pointless nonsense on loop whenever I'm trying to solve a problem or build a story in my head. I actually tried your advice today for a story in the car. It helped a lot! Asking questions kind of put my brain on the spot and it was forced to answer. It actually led to some new questions too which helped a lot to make me understand what I actually want to do. I've also put a widget on my phone's home screen called "Ideas on the go". I click it and save my ideas whenever I'm not in a situation to describe them in detail. But I've found that keeping an idea box helps a lot.

Xoic likes this.
  11. retardis

retardis Member

I used to write before bed. Now I need to try writing early in the morning too! I have a few hours before my classes start. The toilet. =) I kind of gave up taking my phone to the bathroom with me. But yeah, I am trying to build up a habit of writing on public transport and during study breaks.

petra4 likes this.
  12. retardis

retardis Member

I actually changed my sleep schedule so I could wake up super early to write or work out. I think I'm just prone to adding in more study sessions when I have more time to do so. I need to stop doing that.

13. retardis

retardis Member

I've actually never thought about finding a specific spot for writing on campus. I don't think people are going to bother me. Especially these days. Uni is pretty deserted.

14. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

Interesting! We come from different worlds when it comes to writing. I have for years done a lot of public speaking, there was always a beginning, a middle and the end, but even more importantly, a message. I would like to think am a good speaker, the inflections, the pauses, the body language, the subtle methods used to connect with an audience, I truly thrive on. I became interested in writing because I was so discouraged at my in ability to achieve the same effect using the written word, verses the spoken word, so I guess we are on different ends of the same plane when it comes to to purpose in why we write. I will take some exception to your sports analogy; I work as a logger, it is physically grueling work. I view myself, even though I am in my sixties as a professional athlete. I compete in the Spartan Races, run ultra marathons and cycle to keep me in top physical shape. This lets me be more productive and earn more money by being in shape. While I enjoy participating in these things, it is not without a purpose. Which is why I guess I would never say my thoughts were disorganized, the story was always the details that made it happen. Your new here so I have not had the opportunity to read your work, it is reasonable to say that without reading one of your stories, it is hard for me or others here to know how your thought process works. Don't be shy about sharing. I did just post as story in the humor section about writers block, this thread was a catalyst.

retardis and Xoic like this.