1. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

What kind of weapon would a tentacle creature use?

Discussion in 'Research' started by DarkPen14, Jun 6, 2019.

There are a lot of weapons in fiction and history. You've got swords, bows, spears, so on and so forth, and each one of them has their own respective advantages and disadvantages, especially when you get into slapping them into the hands of creatures that are not quite human.

So I'm having difficulty figuring out what a person that has octopus-like appendages would use. The obvious answer is to just smack the other guy around with the tentacles, but that just doesn't sit right with me. Do y'all know of any weapon concepts that might work without fingers, or joints of any kind?
    Edit: In a medieval setting, by the way

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  2. ElConesaToLoco

ElConesaToLoco Active Member

Well, this will depend on how strong and slippery those tentacles are. Is the rest of the body anthropomorphic? This is important to consider the kind of weapons that would best suit this individual. Do they have two or more tentacles? Do the tentacles have suckers? If so, one or more tentacles could hold a shield with the suckers, as long as they're strong. A spear or polearm with one or more secondary handles placed at 90º from the main shaft could be used with one or more tentacles. Check "tonfa" on Google to see what I mean.

3. DarkPen14

Well, the character was inspired by the game The Darkness, so basically that minus mouths, for the most part.

4. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

Never played the game so no idea what that character looks like. But if he has 8 arms/tentacles I think you should use them. Can his suckers hold something small in each 'arm' that can be combined to form a larger, bulkier weapon, if needed? Or a weapon in one arm and seven curved shields in the others that he can combine to almost fully shield himself.

5. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Squirty nipples running the length of each arm, proper/big size tentanips, projecting deathly non-specific fluid THAT mixed with O2[H2O] produces controversial uric acid.

jim onion likes this.
  6. DarkPen14

Okay. I'm afraid to ask.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

With the flexibility of tentacles, possibly high velocity darts or throwing stars. Armor would be difficult for the tentacles, so shredding or venom delivery weapons woul be devastating against others of their own kind.

Most weapons would probably designed for war against their own kind.

8. ElConesaToLoco

So, with the Darkness comparison, I think I can be more accurate in my suggestions.

A strapped spiked ball at the end of each tentacle would allow the character to perform two heavy blows at the same time, with the advantage of going around shields if needed. Another technique would be to spin real fast, striking anything around the individual. Problem is, you'd become extremely vulnerable to an attack with any weapon with decent range (IE a spear, or a long sword, which would cut the tentacles really easy), and you'd become dizzy if you tried to keep it up for more than a couple of spins. If the character also has arms, like in the Darkness, then we have lots of options. A shield with one arm, a spear or mace on the other and two spiked balls on the tentacles, and you become a clobbering machine, while also being protected. You could pin down an enemy with the shield and then strike him with the tentacles from the sides. Both spiked balls hitting the head at the same time, one from each side, would crush his skull even if he's wearing a helmet.

Another idea. How about a bunch of strapped small blades coated in poison? With a tentacle, it would really easy to strike an enemy and get at least one of the blades to pierce his skin. If the poison is quick enough, you'd only need to wait it out, just defend yourself while the poison does it's thing, which, yes, means you're a coward. That's a given with poison, though.

If adding weapons to the tentacles isn't an option, you could still use them in smart ways:

-Sweep at the enemy's legs to bring them down, then clobber them in the head and/or crotch.
    -Use both tentacles to grab the weapon's arm, then twist the arm untill you brake it. A non lethal option would be to hit him in the face with your knee once he lowers his head.
    -Same thing with the neck. Snap it like Zod's in Man of Steel.
    -Grab both of his arms from behind, use the guy as a meat shield.

DarkPen14 likes this.
  9. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Senior Member

I don’t know the game referred to, but how about crossbows?

Also, they might have a blades weapon where the “handle” is lengthened, with a ring at the pommel which’s slips over a tentacle. And up just behind the Guard, is a secondary handle for the tentacles to wrap around.

10. DarkPen14

Nice! Something like this? Screenshot_2019-06-07-11-47-10.png

Human hands could hold it, but the rings provide something the tentacles could grip without covering the entire weapon

11. ElConesaToLoco

I was looking for Indian katars to show what I was thinking, and then this imaged came up, which I think is perfect. You'd only need change the design a little bit, and a tentacle could hold it just with friction. So, even without suckers, it would still function just fine. The katar is a really stupid weapon, but someone without elbows and wrists could definetely make good use of it.
    [​IMG]

DarkPen14 likes this.
  12. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I was thinking a pike/halberd type weapon. Having a long hefty shaft would give the weapon some range (which is always a bonus in combat), plus give plenty of area for a tentacle to grip on to. Combine that with the mechanical advantage of long swangly octopus arms, and there probably wouldn't be much in the way of armour that could stop it.

DarkPen14 likes this.
  13. DarkPen14

ancient-aliens-i-dont-know-therefore-aliens.jpg

14. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Mind meld.:)
    [​IMG]

15. DarkPen14

Well, that's kinda how it happens...
    It's kind of a parasite that assimilates the host's nervous system and completely takes control. If you've ever played Plague Inc., it's the Neurax Worm's more badass older brother.

16. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Social media?

Thundair and jim onion like this.