1. the1

the1 Active Member

Eye problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by the1, Feb 5, 2013.

I know these sort of things do not usually get discussed on this forum, but I feel there a very knowledgeable people in this community so I thought I could try for some help here before I go to my doctor.

In photos I have seen taken recently I have noticed my left eye appears to squint. It makes my face look weird in photos and it looks like something is wrong with my eye. It is not a major issue but it is definitely noticeable in photos – though when looking in the mirror it is definitely less noticeable than a photo.

I had also noticed a twitch in my right eye so i decided to go to my optometrist to see what he could tell me.

I had an eye exam and was told I was a little short sighted but that it wasn't that bad.

I asked if the squint eye would be corrected if I wear the prescription glasses as required but he didn't really give me an answer, it was more of a probably.

Wearing glasses doesn't bother me as my optometrist said that I only had to wear them when I was watching TV but my left eye has made me a little more self conscious in photos.

Is there anyway to fix or correct a problem like this? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The only person who can really answer that question is you optician. Your eyes can be pretty easily damaged, and I've got to be honest, they are one of the worst parts of the body in terms of a healing process.

You will need to consult a professional ASAP, and I would recommend either going to a different one or bluntly telling your optician to tell you the truth. If he's passing your questions off with a vague, supposed-to-make-you-feel-better level of probability then either he's trying to tell you something between the lines or he's a crappy optician and you should go somewhere else.

3. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I would consult your family doctor. The problem may be medical and only a check-up will be able to find out what is wrong. As Lemex as said asap.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree with the others, that you should be consulting medical professionals, particularly an eye doctor. This is especially true if there is any discomfort associated with the eye, such as sensitivity to light, or headaches after lengthy reading or computer use.

If it's merely a cosmetic issue, though, keep in mind that people's faces are not perfectly symmetric, and that's not inherently a flaw.

5. the1

the1 Active Member

Thanks for the advice guys, there's no pain or anything like that but I will get it checked as soon as I can. :)

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i hope you do... there are some serious causes for such a change in the eye and it's best to not put it off... on the other side, if it's found to be nothing serious, you can then relax and stop worrying...

how old are you?... as we age, the eyelids do tend to 'droop' and your left one may just be getting a head start on the right, so this may be all it is... doesn't explain the tic/twitch, though...

7. Talmay

Talmay Member

My left eye twitches at random intervals, particularly when exposed to sudden light (a lot less creepy than it sounds). It starts watering but causes no real discomfort. Like I get dust in my eye or something. I've been told it's because my eyesight is pretty bad and getting worse so my glasses become obsolete rather quick, hence a need to constantly squint.

But that's me. Since you've just gotten your glasses, it could be your eyes adjusting. Or it could be something more serious, so either way get it checked out. Better to be sure just in case.