1. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

What magnitude of public corruption would a District Attorney realistically prosecute?

Discussion in 'Research' started by X Equestris, Dec 17, 2019.

Hopefully someone has an answer for this.

I've just started plotting out a short story whose main plot is sparked by a major public corruption scandal involving about two dozen police officers indicted for extorting citizens, planting evidence and committing perjury (often in exchange for payment from third parties), stealing evidence, and even murder. Akin to the LAPD's Rampart scandal, albeit not quite as widespread.

One of the POV characters is the lead prosecutor on the case, and I'm unsure what her exact office should be. Currently, I'm leaning toward District Attorney due to the more intimate connections to the setting and the other POV character that would offer, but I can also see why federal prosecutors or the state Attorney General's office might be involved too.

Whatever insights you guys can provide are much appreciated.

2. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Usually if there is a problem with the local police department, one would have to go up several levels in order to get anything done. The FBI would likely get involved through the Hobbs Act.

X Equestris likes this.
  3. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I figured they would, and my research suggests the state bureau of investigation would get involved as well; they have original jurisdiction over criminal conspiracies and can be asked to launch an investigation by a variety of state or local officials. So this case seems like it would be a jurisdictional mess.