What makes a synopsis pop?

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by GoldenFeather, May 21, 2014.

1. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Fair point... but then it makes people like me feel misrepresented. ;)

2. GoldenFeather

GoldenFeather Active Member

"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." - Aristotle

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  3. GoldenFeather

Write a book about it! :D That's what I did :)

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  4. obsidian_cicatrix

lol... I'd already twigged to that, or at least heavily suspected. I deal with my 'issues' in my writing too, but they are so cloaked you'd have a hard job spotting them. :D

5. GoldenFeather

Then uncloak them :) I was really ashamed to talk about my hair-pulling, so I decided to write a book and in this book, I was honest and open. No sugar coating, no pretty descriptions. Just as it truly is.

It was therapeutic and quite liberating. I would encourage you to do the same :) Just bleed.

6. obsidian_cicatrix

I could, but I wouldn't... the whole purpose is to play about rather than unburden. I'm really open... keep in mind that part of my condition is blurting stuff out when I shouldn't. It's kinda cool to hide it just for the hell of it. :D

matwoolf and GoldenFeather like this.
  7. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

It is more a book blurb than a synopsis, I think. But I took a crack at rewriting the original version and came up with the following:

"Delylah is a trichster, one of the many young women that suffer from Trichotillomania. For fourteen years she has kept her condition a secret from her family and friends. Even though she has developed methods to conceal her addiction she tries to avoid relationships altogether. But when she moves in with a new room-mate, Clair, her secret becomes more and more difficult to hide. Then Delylah meets (insert boys name here). Torn between desire and her need to protect herself, Delylah is unable to commit. Plagued by her secret shame, Delylah's life begins to unravel. And just when she thinks it cannot get any worse, the unthinkable happens."

GoldenFeather likes this.
  8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

We're not looking at a synopsis - we're looking at a blurb. A synopsis should be the summary of the entire book, with all important characters and milestones plus resolution stated in a concise and interesting manner.

As for the OP - definitely don't start with the word "Trichotillomania". It had me frowning and turned me off right away. Granted I don't read medical fiction, but seriously, that's one heck of a tongue twister and you really don't want that as your first word. If you don't *have* to turn off your potential readers, then don't.

It sounds interesting but yeah, as others have said, I have no reaction to it. I'd shrug, go "Ah cool," and put the book down personally. I doubt I'd remember it 5min later.

GoldenFeather likes this.
  9. GoldenFeather

@mikekobernus

I like that you mentioned she struggles between protecting herself and being with a man. This is actually spot on and it's very true, and gives a lot of light to the story. I think I will insert this also. Thank you!!

@Mckk

Others have also mentioned that the word is a complete turn off, so I'm removing it completely. It's a tongue twister and seems too "medical" I suppose.

These insights are so helpful! Thank you guys!

Mckk likes this.
  10. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

I sent you a PM with a new version....

Mckk likes this.