1. E.Anderson

E.Anderson Member

Should fictional currency be capitalized

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by E.Anderson, Jan 21, 2017.

I'm not quite sure if I'm in the right category or not, oh well, whatever...anyways, as the title says, I need to know if the name of a fictional currency should be capitalized or not. I feel like the answer should be simple but for some reason I just can't seem to find it. By the way, the currency's name is a proper noun (A name of a person like Adam, Julie etc.).

Sorry if this question seemed stupid.

Hold on...I should also mention that the currency also has other...mystical applications (as in producing magical effects and such)>

2. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

I mean, I don't usually capitalize dollar or peso or euro when I use it in a sentence!

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I would give it an intial and use that like a pound or dollar sign after the first sentence. So for example if your currence was the Ricardo one hundred rics would be written as R100 (note that that's a bad example because the capital R is already used for the south african rand)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I do when using fictional currency. I think of it in the same fashion that many countries currency is
    typically capitalized when being taken into account. But for say the dollar, no. I might use a slang
    term like buck, scratch, or green backs. Can accept the same from English fiction where they use
    the slang quid, instead of Pound. Though to be fair my currency slang is limited after that, so in
    fictional money it should have something that sets it apart.

So do it the way you feel most comfortable, but clarify the slang if it exists. :)

5. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I don't recall seeing real life currencies capitalized very often, so I'd be fine with it not capitalized.

6. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I would vote for lower-case. I don't think I've ever seen the name of a currency written upper-case. Even if it's also the name of a person, since you're not using it as a person's name (ie not a proper noun) I don't think that affects it. Just like when you're writing about newtons as the SI unit of force, you don't capitalize it (even though Newton was a guy's name).