1. Cadbury

Cadbury New Member

A few problems I have?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Cadbury, Aug 8, 2012.

My writing doesn't seem to flow. Rather than being able to just write and write and write, I end up writing one line, and then spending 10 minutes trying to make it sound right and well. I am constantly editing my writing as I am writing it, because I hate to think that there are parts of my writing that I'm not happy with. If I think of an idea for a line, e.g. I'm using a metaphor or a simile or something, I have to use it straight away and write it perfectly otherwise I can't relax and carry on writing.

I have no problems thinking of ideas for my stories, developing characters and such, I just have a hard time actually writing it. I can spend days writing just 2 pages, and even then it won't feel right to me.

I just read the beginning of a novel that I wrote a few months ago. It sounds so robotic and each sentence doesn't seem to flow to the next. Things move on too fast and I don't explain myself well enough.

Do I just need to keep practising? If needs be I can post part of the novel I began writing, but I'm just about to go out so I'll have to do it later xD

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I edit/revise as I write - but you have to know when to quit and move on with the story. Nothing is ever ever ever going to be perfect. And yes, the more you write, the more you read, the better the writer you'll become.

You might want to try some short stories, just to get used to be imperfect ;) - and finishing. Just remember - and remind yourself frequently - you don't have to write a perfect story. Just write it the best you can. Each story will be a better "best".

3. B93

B93 Active Member

Sounds like you need to just write for a while and not worry about it. You don't get good at anything by agonizing over first attempts. You practice to get the feel of it. Then you look at what you are doing wrong and improve.

Then go back and rewrite. And rewrite. That's normal. There is a new edition of Hemingway coming out that includes alternate scenes and thirty nine (39) endings for Farewell to Arms that he kept in his files.

Note that this forum requires you to be registered for two weeks and make 20 posts, including at least two substantial critiques, before you post your own material for critique (in the proper section).

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I agree with B93. I think the real problem is that you're afraid to make a mistake with your writing or to go off on the wrong track. The only corrections I make when I'm doing the writing are obvious SPaG mistakes that I catch immediately, or maybe something that just plain comes out wrong. Otherwise, I push ahead. Besides, you really can't judge the quality of a piece of writing until it attains a certain critical mass.

Good luck.

5. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Practice definitely helps for the long run, but confidence really makes a difference in your writing. It's a trust that you have a grasp of your language, which allows you to know how to put thoughts into longer, flowing sentences.

One of the tricks new writers, and I had the same problem, is learning how to take your character's thoughts from first person and add them to a paragraph in third person. That's one of the ways a novel flows, is the observations that character sees second by second. An example:

She slammed into the tree, whose trunk splinted and broke in two as the momentum sent Kate’s body tearing through it like a hot knife through butter. The oak dropped with a loud crash as Kate hit the ground and rolled several times to wind up on her stomach as more alerts flashed for her attention as she tried to get back to her feet. Ok, that officially went down as a Bad Idea. (This is a person thought changed into a combination second/third POV. It allows there to be some flow to the paragraph without everything seeming mechanical. )

It took great effort to push her body off the ground and up to hands and knees. Nope, that move had to be upgraded to a Really Bad Idea. (Another thought added to the paragraph, while the next sentence follows and completes the thought.)The next time she took on a suit there’d have to be a better plan than this, because her body couldn’t take this kind of pounding.

I hope this helps with some examples of flow. You can combine more then one thought into a sentence too and keep your flow also.

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Use this application - it's called "Write or Die" - you set your own word limit and your own time limit, and then you choose a mode. Each mode has different punishments - the worst mode is the one where it actually starts "un-writing" (yes, deleting) your words :D The only remedy is to keep writing until you either reach your word limit or you finish your time limit. You're allowed to pause only once.

I think this may really benefit you in your case.

http://writeordie.com/#Web+App

7. captain kate

Cadbury,

When you pop back online, send me a few paragraphs of your writing to my PM box. Let's see what we can work on together.

8. Cadbury

Cadbury New Member

Ah I'm just such a perfectionist when it comes to writing, whether it's short stories, novels, essays. I worry that I'll forget any ideas I had about how to change a line or whatever.

I think I need to concentrate on improving my writing before I start trying to write a novel. I will start writing some short stories and ask for critique so that I can find my own style and sort my writing problems out, thanks for the idea shadowwalker.

Thanks for the link, Mckk, I'll check it out :)

@Captain Kate
    I usually write in first person anyway, I prefer it much more to writing in third xD

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna start writing a short story now and see how far I get, and when I'm a bit more familiar with the site and have contributed a bit more, I'll post it :)

9. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto New Member

You're worrying too much. You need to finish the first draft, getting all your ideas down no matter how bad they seem. Then you can re-write, and re-write again, and then after that, re-write again and then FINALLY you can re-write one last time. After all that, repeat the whole process a few more times. Then you'll have a good manuscript. Effort is what pays off. First drafts always suck no matter who the writer is.

10. captain kate

First person, by nature, should flow a bit better then third because, for the most part, it's the thoughts and viewpoint of the character. Just relax, don't pressure yourself and let it flow. :)

11. Cadbury

Cadbury New Member

I'm going to have a few goes on that "Write or Die" and see if that gets me anywhere :)

Thanks again :)