What Makes You Inexplicably Happy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by EFMingo, May 16, 2021.

1. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Same with the downtown construction sites. Doesn't surprise me with the price of building materials these days. People will steal anything. And buy anything stolen. Especially when the mob controlled every construction union in the state. You couldn't get a permit or work crew for anything without "donating" 10% of your bid and materials anyway. Price of doing business.

EFMingo likes this.
  2. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!
    My cat and anime. :)

3. Mary B.

Mary B. New Member

Holiday Reese's Cups :) Mainly the Christmas trees and Easter eggs.

EFMingo likes this.
  4. TK

TK Active Member

That seems responsible, where I live construction sites have no protection at all.

Sometimes there could be a security camera or two but that's about it.

5. TK

TK Active Member

All I want to do is sit down there for a while and leave.

6. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I broke a padlock today.

On purpose.

I recently happened to see an online video in which a guy showed how to do it with a pair of open end wrenches ("spanners" to you Brits), putting them under the shackle one above the other and making a lever and pushing that up and away from the body. Anyway, we have an old kids' violin in a padlocked case, and the combination has been long lost in memory. I want to give the violin away, but I thought I wanted to take a look at it first. So I tried the trick -- and it worked almost immediately. Trick is to push the shackle up, the direction that it's held most weakly, and not to try and push out against the frame of the body.

I'm inexplicably happy that I can now go to the gym and pillage the lockers. Well, no I won't. But I could.

7. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    When I was very young our area of town was experiencing a housing boom with houses being built a few houses from my own, and one of them was our new family home. I used to wander up there and watch it get built, and grew to especially love the smell of fresh plaster (no drywall back then) and paint. The muddy water was good, too, except the time I went into mud that trapped my feet and I had to pull them out of my boots and walk home barefoot.

8. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Shaving... no, let me rephrase that. Having shaved. I hate the process, but that lovely clean feeling afterwards, as you rinse off the shaving foam with cold water, pat dry your face and apply a nicely-scented post-shave balm.

9. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I always thought of Rhode Island as quiet and genteel. Sounds like more like the Wild West --I heard about that woman getting dragged out of her car and beaten to death for honking at a group of bikers who were sitting through a green light and blocking the intersection.

10. Homer Potvin

Yeah, the coastal areas, islands, and western part (near Cape Cod) and very nice and quaint, but the northeastern quadrant where Providence is rolls straight into the solid urban wall of southern Massachusetts all the way up through Boston.

11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Have you seen the LockPickingLawyer on YouTube? You might enjoy watching his vids. (no affiliation, yadda yadda)

Cave Troll likes this.
  12. Homer Potvin

Okay, this is weird. You're in the Midwest, right? Wisconsin or something? Anyway, you're the first person to alert me to this incident, which happened on Tuesday less than a half a mile from my house in an intersection I pass through every time I drive a car. Since reading about it here a few hours ago, three other people in real life mentioned it. I had no idea, but apparently everyone else knew about it.

For the record, the woman didn't die. And they weren't bikers, they were those roving ATV "gangs," mostly made up of dumbass kids. And several lawyers have fired back claiming that the woman was chasing the kids for blocks. Either way, the mayor has chimed in, because the packs of ATVs have been a thing for a while now. My cop buddies claim they're not allowed to chase them, because they'll just ride buckwild through red lights and neighborhoods, endangering innocent motorists and passengers further.

What the fuck has gotten into everyone? We're so far past stranger than fiction at this point that I question the utility of writing anything at this point.

Cave Troll, Earp, Xoic and 3 others like this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Sounds like Japanese bosozoku, idiot Japanese teens on scooters with fart-can mufflers who like to drive around at night revving all 50cc of their engines to annoy people. What I wouldn't do to see a group of proper Angels roll past them at just over an idle....

This is basically what I had to try to get to sleep to every night for my first year in Japan. Except it was about fifty of the idiots, and the cops were trying to pull them over. However, since they weren't doing anything that (in the eyes of the law, of course) merited ramming or gunfire, the officers would just trail them down the street...

...with their sirens on, using their loudspeakers to repeat "You are in violation of the law, please pull over. You are in violation of the law, please pull over."

Nothing like making a rolling noise complaint worse to show you're doing your job.

Cave Troll, Xoic, EFMingo and 2 others like this.
  14. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Okay, back to inexplicably happy. Japanese TV, like everywhere, can be completely moronic at times but sometimes they nail it. Today they got the dude who won the gold in speedwalking to go from a train station to an apartment that was listed as "five minutes walk" from said station...

...and back.

1:55.18

The cameramen were at a dead sprint trying to keep up with him.

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

This is a bit embarrassing to admit but I always thought that Rhode Island was north of Massachusetts.

16. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

Snort! how can something called an "island" be on the mainland? Uhh - never mind. :eek:

17. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    If you really want to yank Homer's chain, ask how can some place so small be deemed a "state"?

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Apparently its named after a tiny island of the same name (which itself was named after the Greek Island of Rhodes) which was the first part of the state to be settled

Xoic likes this.
  19. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Rhode Island and Providence Plantation

20. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Driving past elementary schools (i promise im not a creeper!)

They just bring up really good memories for me. My elementary school had a Fall Block Party every year and i remember my mom bringing cupcakes to my class room for my birthday. I remember runni g around the playground and annoying my older brother. When my sister started school, i remember holding her hand taking her to her classroom.

Elementary schools just bring up a bunch of happy feelings of simpler days

love to read and Cave Troll like this.
  21. Homer Potvin

You have speeding cameras in front of the schools out there? $50 if you're a tick over 25mph... now even I slow down to admire the schools when I pass.

22. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

oddly enough, there are no speed traps here. but living in the DC area has conditioned me to go between 15-25 in a school zone :p

23. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Not here in Michigan, either:

"Automated enforcement cameras may not be used in Michigan. A police officer may issue a civil infraction citation only if the officer observes a violation, investigates a crash, or receives authorization from the prosecutor to a citizen's complaint."

That said, school speed limits are usually 25 MPH and enforcement is taken seriously.

24. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

school zones speed limits are 20 mph here (only during school hours) but at least we don’t have speeding cameras.

25. Homer Potvin

Lucky. My wife and I got popped three times between us one week. Fucking camera was partially onscured by a bush, and the "school" looked it hadn't been open since the Reagan administration. That's RI for you... only you can't bride an automated camera, which makes me a little surprised the police union hasn't fought their existence for denying the cops their supplementary income.