What Makes You Love Where You Live

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheHedgehog, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Tigress

Tigress New Member

The people. I've lived a lot of places -- born in California, raised in Kansas and Colorado -- but when I visited my folks here in Georgia I was amazed. Strangers spoke to each other as they passed on the street or in the stores and their friendliness was contagious. It was just the kind of place I'd always wanted to live and so, six months after that visit, I packed my bags and moved from Denver to Atlanta.

I've now been here 20 years, longer than I've ever lived in any other place. I'm right at home here and I love every minute of it. :)

2. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I don't love where I live. I think it's the weather. It's rarely either too hot or too humid; it's always both at the same time. And then when winter comes, you're so used to it that the cold is like a flash freeze. I'm going to move out before too long, either to Arizona (where it's all heat and little humidity) or the Pacific Northwest (where it's all humidity and little heat). One or the other will suit me just fine, and right now, I don't really care which. I'm leaning towards the Pacific, since I love greenery... Off topic.

Another point against this place: the people aren't too bright around here. I suspect that removing large portions of some folks' brains would actually make them smarter...

Ah, but the positive points! I live on top of a hill a few miles from the nearest town, so it's nice and quiet most of the time. And the scenery is fantastic in the summer. If it weren't for the weather, and the bugs, I might consider it something of a paradise. And, uh... I like Mexican food. A handy skill to have, because it's fairly common.

3. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

Where I live is ok...little small townie...but it has everything I need within reasonable driving distance. The weather is pretty good. I can get to the either the beach or the mountains within 2 hours. I am near enough to Sacramento that I can go to the opera or theater when I want to, but far enough away that I don't have city traffic. 20 minutes South is city...20 minutes North is farmland. Kinda right in the middle...maybe that's why they call this the Central Valley!

4. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

FMK the nice thing about living in the pacific northwest is that (in many places) we get all four seasons. And there's tons to do if you're into outdoor activities.

...then again, Arizona is warm all year round. ;)

5. MsMyth71

MsMyth71 New Member

That would be Greeley. When we moved here, we jokingly said, "is there a bad part of town anywhere in Ft Collins?" and one of our friends (who had been living in Ft. Collins a while) said, "yeah, it's called Greeley.

The stock yards. Peeeeyooooo..

6. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

Well chosen between the two. ;)

7. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

The northwest would definitely be better for me, especially since my skin is overly sensitive in just about every way possible; I can't imagine that it would like the Arizona sun too much. But then, I do have compelling personal reasons to go to AZ too... Maybe I'll just check them both out firsthand before deciding.

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]
    The main thing to love about where I live is this is the views all around here. Beautiful greenery as far as the eye can see and bush land everywhere.

Another thing is, when you are heading home after a really long drive and you are tired and looking forward to getting home and crawling into bed, the big wooden arch is there to welcome you home. It's a one of a kind that is for sure.

[​IMG]

9. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

Very nice, reminds me of the scenery in the movie Shenandoah.

10. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

I live in a large, affluent town in the south of England, which I guess is a fairly unremarkable place in its own right, but it does have good facilities, restaurants, shopping etc.

But the two biggest "plusses" for me is that, firstly, being originally from Scotland, it's relatively warm and sunny down here, and secondly, I live literally on the edge of town, on a housing estate that borders lovely green land, fields, rivers etc, so it gives me a great place to take the kids, walk my dog and generally escape the rat race. :)

11. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

That I live in a constituency that the Tories cannot hope to take, on May 6th :)

12. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Well, where I am currently on campus for university is lovely - trees, lake, sheep, cows, ducks, swans, horses. So pretty. And the city is great hosting literature events, historic places and such.
    At home where I live everything is local so I can just walk everywhere mostly which is always convenient and nice. And I'm only an hour train ride from London which is cool. Also, considering the election is coming up, I heard that Labour has never been in power here. No wonder Gordon Brown payed a visit here to try and get support.

13. black-radish

black-radish New Member

I'm from the netherlands, as some may already know.

First of all, no, I do not smoke pot.

I like where I live because there arent really any social boundaries, my best friend is a pagan and my other friend struts around in gucci. It doesn't matter who you are, as long as you're a nice person you have friends. I'm just nice to anyone, even if they don't look like 'my kind of person', because you can't judge a book by it's cover. Oh, how political correct I am, haha. But it's true.
    I live 20 minutes by train from Amsterdam, which is nice if I want to go shopping or to the movies and definatly if I want to go to concerts.
    I also have a forrest near me, 5 minute drive, it's really nice to go there in the summertime and just, sit against a tree and write while my dog runs around.

Ah, life is good.

14. Sassy_Tiger

Sassy_Tiger New Member

I love where I live because it's far enough away from the family to keep trouble from my door and close enough for yearly visits.
    I live very near to a canal and forest which is perfect for bike rides and picnics. The kids love it and are happy here so that essentially for me is the main thing!

15. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

You're not at UKC, are you? I loved the view down the hill to the cathedral. I miss Islington Green, too (never thought I would when I was there, though!). Oh, well, those were reasons I loved places I used to live (and there have been so many...).
    Right now, the view across the bay to the mountains on the other side and watching the sun setting behind them when I come back from work on the ferryboat is enough to make me love where I live now.

16. MCWhite

MCWhite New Member

I love the weather, the nature, the people (mostly) and the opportunities of my city. There's so much to do, so many great events, so many places to visit... It's a healthy city, an outdoorsy city, a beautiful city. We've got lakes and rivers and rolling hill country, great architecture, a clean downtown, an excellent night life... I could go on and on about Austin's virtues. It's strange, because when I moved here from Houston, I initially hated it, primarily for one reason - it was too liberal. Nothing's changed, I've just adjusted to it.

17. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Nah, I'm at Bath Spa.

18. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I love walking around and having people ask me what I think of the draft this year. "How soon do you think Bulaga will step in? Hopefully Cliffy doesn't get injured this season, our O-line......"

Etc. :D I love how you can't go anywhere without seeing the Packers. :) Makes me happy.

19. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

What do I love about my area?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The scenery and nature.

20. Gigi_GNR

:eek: Cog, that's BEAUTIFUL! Did you take those yourself?

21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Thank you. Yes, I did. Photography is one of my hobbies.

22. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Wow, those are beautiful cog!

makes me wish I was good at photography :)

23. The Bard of Wigan

The Bard of Wigan New Member

I love not having my tires slashed and my garden fence not burnt down AGAIN !!

24. Gigi_GNR

They ARE beautiful!! :)

I plan on going to school for photojournalism, so photography is a passion of mine as well!

25. black-radish

black-radish New Member

It's an historic place!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And it looks really cool from above!
    [​IMG]

Also, I love the nature and the water:
    [​IMG]