Tags:
  1. writingistelepathy

writingistelepathy Member

What other types of writing do you do, or enjoy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by writingistelepathy, Nov 5, 2018.

Aside from creative writing, do you guys also write in other styles/for another purpose? Do you enjoy writing in other styles?

I write in many different styles and for different purposes at work; press releases to inform and engage, creative social media content etc.

I really enjoy the above styles of writing and in many ways find those easier than creative writing as I have been trained in those styles, however creative writing is what I would like to do more of in a way of getting the imaginative stories in my head out on to paper.

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I teach freshman and sophomore English composition and essay writing... from five sentences to about 500 words can fall outta my fingers onto the keyboard in minutes, technically immaculate but utterly forgettable. Yay me?

3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I used to really enjoy doing research essays for my lit classes, but I haven't needed to do one of those for years.

writingistelepathy likes this.
  4. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I for one, love your posts.

deadrats and Iain Aschendale like this.
  5. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I still write technical documentation for the Navy... I enjoy bringing order out of chaos with a clear, easy to read and informative style.

6. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I have to create and maintain a fair amount of written documentation for my job in regards to reporting processes and daily/weekly/monthly duties for my accounts. This is so that when I inevitably hit the big time as a NYT best-selling author, someone besides me will know how to do my job. :D I'm also responsible for a lot of business communications where wording things juuuuust the right way, so that I'm putting the best and most positive spin on whatever horrible news I have to deliver.

7. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

I used to enjoy my essays when I was studying Business and Economics.
    I'd have different questions and scenarios for different essays.
    I'd have to create my own marketing strategy and justify why, which was fun; another one I had to invent my own local cafe business and I had to try and approach a leisure centre about using their empty cafe, and I had to make my own flash presentation for that to pitch this idea too.
    The maths ones was straight forward, I just got to choose the colour of my graphics and quantify data and conclude a result based on the data.
    I also had to write like I had to launch a new shoe for this big UK high street company (real companies I had to study unless I had to invent it), and I had to launch a shoe, and work out who I'd sell this shoe to and why; I had to come up with a marketing intelligence gathering technique after comparing what ones exist and I had to factor in things like cost to justify why I chose to do the method I had to create the marketing intelligence for (I went for questionnaire targeting people in London anonymously since it also specified where they wanted it done, (in London) I put them on my favourite locations advising them to conduct their surveys there and how to go about doing that which meant outsourcing to a dedicated company who operate in that area.
    I also had to compare organisations, but that was boring; I had to learn the difference between two types of organisational structures of two competing businesses who were different but had huge share of the market share, like how Ford & Toyota are different, or Apple & Samsung, and I had to write about that.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  8. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

I write a lot of reports and essays and the like as part of both my work, my previous work, and my education. People say I am good at writing them, but honestly I don’t know why. I write a 2000 word essay in a couple hours. It is entirely forgettable, with very little work put into it and not even I remember what the hell I said inside it after finishing it because I simply do not care enough about them - even if I am being paid. Do I enjoy it? Not really. But the pay check at the end motivates me.

9. mykl ruby

mykl ruby New Member

sometimes I write letters to former friends, and relatives, who ive never had a chance to finish conversations, and air grievances with.ive recommended it to friends who have unresolved issues with someone that play on their mind.not for publishing, or for anyone else to read, but as a way of unloading, and putting thoughts into words, to see if it helps.