Tags:
  1. Zombie Among Us

Zombie Among Us Member

What Popular Book/Series Can You Not Stand?

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by Zombie Among Us, Feb 14, 2019.

Hello,

No matter how popular something gets, there will always be those who don't like it, or even hate it.

For me, it's The Hunger Games. I loved the first book, but stopped about 3/4 into the second. I honestly feel the author kind of decided "at this point, I could write anything, and thousands will buy it." It had so much going for it, so much potential!

Of course, it's perfectly fine with me if you enjoyed/are enjoying The Hunger Games. More power to ya!

What popular book/series bothers you?

2. Moon

Moon Contributor

While I wouldn't go as far to say I "can't stand it," Game of thrones. The series just doesn't do anything for me.

3. 18-Till-I-Die

18-Till-I-Die Banned

Do TV series count or just books?

4. Night Herald

Night Herald The Antagonist Supporter Contributor

I guess The Kingkiller Chronicle? "Can't stand" is much too strong, I'm just apathetic towards the whole thing. Rothfuss is a cool guy, but his work just isn't for me.

5. Zombie Among Us

Zombie Among Us Member

Sure! TV works :)

6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I felt the same about the second Hunger Games (and didn't finish the third) but I generally find sequels disappointing. I just pretend the first is a standalone book.

There are lots of popular books I don't rate, but the only one I really hate is the 50 Shades crap. I'm so angry that it promoted an abusive relationship as romantic and as something to aspire to - and when I say abuse, I'm not referring to BDSM. So few people seem to understand what a healthy relationship looks like and this load of crap made it fifty shades worse. The other books I don't like aren't actively harmful.

7. 18-Till-I-Die

18-Till-I-Die Banned

Star Trek.

With literally the SOLE exception of Deep Space Nine or the JJ Abrams movies, and that's because they're all so far divorced from the source materials as to be completely separate series in their own right. The entire franchise is just a nonstop roller coaster ride of bad acting, terrible plots and virtually incomprehensible logical contortions wrapped up in mindless political grandstanding that the rest of mankind generously refers to as a "tv show". Maybe it's me, maybe she's born with it, but when literally HALF of the runtime of several interconnected "tv shows" is made up of some variation on the old tune "I'd Like To Buy The World A Coke And A Copy Of The Communist Manifesto" and the best "actor" you can produce, by a MILE WIDE margin, is William fucking Shatner(!?) then I have to pull out and go home, sorry not sorry. And that's before we get into the whole "everyone who believes in God is insane and/or evil, if not both" thing that TNG basically spells out in several episodes.

On top of that, beyond the overwhelming "wokeness" of the whole thing, Star Trek is just...so...fucking...BLAND. It's barely a series. Who is the antagonist? Protagonist? What is their goal?! To go where no man has gone before? Well ok fine, but by that logic going to Rachael Maddow's house would make me Captain Kirk Jr. There literally was no villain or overarching plot in TOS or TNG. There I guess kinda was at least a main villain(s) in Enterprise, maybe, if you squint. And I'll at least grant Voyager that the writers decided there was gonna kinda be this thing vaguely resembling a plot. And the less said about the aptly named STD the better. As I said the only reason Deep Space Nine worked was because it had a fucking overarching plot and a defined protagonist and antagonist, same for the reboot movies...kinda sorta like this thing called a STORY.

TLDR: Star Trek is bad, fuck Gene Roddenberry, go watch the Babylon 5 episodes with Dr. Franklin in them if moral grandstanding is what you're looking for cause at least they had plots, characters, story arcs, etc.

8. EFMingo

EFMingo Active Member

I whole-heartedly agree with everything here, and most especially the Babylon 5 comment. Seriously, as far as Science fiction shows of that time period go, it's worth watching. I also apply this to Star Wars as well. Both the giants just don't do it for me.

9. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributor Contributor

David Walliams kid books

10. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Senior Member

Harry Potter was mine. It just didn't feel fresh and unique to me and was full of just about every Fantasy trope out there. It just felt like a more mature version of "The Worst Witch". I also didn't feel the writing was that amazing, I mean, it wasn't terrible just over-rated.
    Twilight and 50 shades was another one for me and the bat shit crazy fans that came from it.

Otherwise, I'm not into series much. I get bored fast and find that as the story moves along the quality deteriorates. Silence of the Lambs I liked but the others not so much. I just don't have the patience I think to stay with a series for potentially years. I just keep thinking of all the new material coming out that I'm missing so now I just tend to read one story books or read the first book in the series as if it were a stand alone book, as most are.