1. JadeX

JadeX Senior Member

What radiation units are most likely to be used here?

Discussion in 'Research' started by JadeX, Sep 17, 2017.

My story is set in the near future (the year 2022 to be precise) in the United States after a [somewhat] limited nuclear exchange. FEMA is deployed nationwide but is soon overwhelmed. A civilian auxiliary corps is created, in which civilians can volunteer and receive basic training to be able to support and assist the professionals and lighten the work load (similar in concept to a community emergency response team). My MC joins one of these teams.

Of all the things they learn in their training courses, the volunteers will need to learn about radiation. Obviously they're going to need to become familiar with radiation levels and what they mean.

But in the research I've done, I've found that there is no shortage of units used to measure radiation levels. There's rads, rems, grays, sieverts, roentgens... maybe some others I'm missing? In the United States in the year 2022, which unit will most likely be the standard that the volunteers will be taught to use?

EDIT: I really need to think, even just a little bit, before submitting stuff. 99% of my threads are me asking shit I can answer myself. Nevermind. Mods, delete this if you see it, I won't burden you with yet another self-report. Ugh...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017