Tags:
  1. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

What real place does your story take place in?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by GlitterRain7, Jul 9, 2018.

I think it's cool when people use real places in their stories, even if it's just, say, the state, and they use a fictional town. I once read a book where the MC was from the same state as me and I thought that was cool. So, what real place(s) did you choose for your story's setting?
    My story takes place in a fictional town in the state of New Hampshire.

deadrats likes this.
  2. Quanta

Quanta Senior Member

My two novels happen in the same village, which is just a short drive from my place. I have changed the name slightly, but nobody from around here would be fooled.

jannert likes this.
  3. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Mine takes place in a few real-world locations, in a near-future sci-fi setting. One is Canary Wharf, another is Shoreditch, and another is a now derelict beach, house and lighthouse on Jersey. I know Jersey very well so can incorporate a lot of the local terrain and landmarks into the character's journey. I don't know the other locations particularly well, so I'll need to get the train down to London and go and explore!

jannert likes this.
  4. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I use real places for all my settings:
    • Under the Knife takes place primarily in Los Angeles, but there are also parts set in Chicago and Marlborough, New Zealand.
    • From Blood to Roses starts in Austin, TX, moves to Lancaster, PA and ends in Washington DC
    • The town in Kneadful Things is never named, but it's modeled after Scranton, PA
    • Gravity is set in Los Angeles as well, though it ends with a stop in Des Moines, IA

jannert and GlitterRain7 like this.
  5. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

My current novel, an urban fantasy, takes place on an unspecified island in the Caribbean. However, my non-urban-fantasy novels all take place in fictional towns in very much nonfictional Delaware County, just outside Philadelphia.

In fact, the next novel I have planned is really meant to be a picture of life in Delco, including all the standards: Wawa hoagies, Rita’s Water Ice, the opioid crisis, middle school lacrosse, a weird mix of blue collar middle-class angst butting right up against Main Line affluence, and a millennial protagonist who can’t seem to leave despite being bored shitless and wanting to find some kind of creative endeavor to distract from the monotony.

jannert likes this.
  6. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

My home village, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, several coastal villages I spent a bit of time in while I was a Coastguard officer, a fictionalised version of a small village in Southern Iraq, London and Grimsby (those last three only briefly and in flashback sequences).

jannert likes this.
  7. graveleye

graveleye Senior Member

My story starts in the middle of the night on an interstate in west/central Georgia (US), then on to Panama City Beach, Florida.
    From there it goes first to rural Virginia, and the remainder of the story occurs in Richmond, Virginia (specifically the Carytown District).
    There are a couple other scenes in New York City as well.

All my locations are real right down the the street names.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Possibly only semi-real...

It takes place in a very post-climate-change Northern Australia and the islands between Australia and mainland Asia.

Untitled.png

9. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I, too, think it's pretty cool when I come across real places (especially ones I know) in fiction. A few years back I was reading a short story by one of my favorite authors and it was set in a hotel less than an hour from me. It was clear the author had spent time in this hotel because there are some pretty unique things about it. If I didn't know this hotel, I would have thought a lot of the details were made up. The author also named the town the hotel is in. The author made it as clear as possible that this was a real location with a fictional story. It was great!

I use real locations all the time. I have a big thing for chain restaurants. I just think almost all of lives important moments can somehow involve a chain restaurant. I sort of think the more real my fiction becomes (and I don't mean the actual story), the more real the story feels. Things like setting can allow us to bring real things into our story while still keeping fiction fiction.

10. WaffleWhale

WaffleWhale Active Member

A bit overused but New York.

jannert likes this.
  11. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

I once made a story where I used my own school in a small town in Alberta, Canada. I even got most of my classmates in on it, and they would always ask me if they died or not
    I'm currently using a giant mountain in my story, but have not decided which one I want it to be in the real world.

jannert likes this.
  12. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Current WIP: The West Village, NYU (New York University), and the Upper West Side of Manhattan, NYC.

Next book: Los Angeles, Omaha, San Antonio, a Chicago suburb, and a couple of to-be-determined locations for some minor scenes.

13. QueenOfPlants

QueenOfPlants Definitely a hominid

One story takes place at a) Versailles, b) a fictional village near Saint Hubert in the Ardennes and c) the Brocken in Germany. It's an alternate history story.

But otherwise I write fantasy and sci-fi, therefor nothing real is in it.

jannert likes this.
  14. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

My UF takes place in a city based vaguely on Atlanta, and two beachside southeastern towns I'm familiar with. They all get fictional names, though. I'm not interested in replicating the exact settings -- I'm just stealing their flavors.

jannert likes this.
  15. DK3654

DK3654 Almost a Productive Member of Society Contributor

In and around the London area.

Cave Troll, jannert and GlitterRain7 like this.
  16. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

My completed work Deceitful Survival was in Haiti and France in 19th century and my WIP Sting of the Wasp is in Baltimore Md and DC
    I like using real places because it forces me to do the research to make it right.

jannert and Shenanigator like this.
  17. OriginalZen

OriginalZen New Member

My current work takes place in a few different places across Europe during the Renaissance period! Currently only London, but Paris and Constantinople are also planned as settings.

Cave Troll and jannert like this.
  18. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

A writer after my own heart. Doing research does more than just make the story right, doesn't it? It also gives you ideas and perspectives you might not have thought of on your own. I love that aspect of research. The surprises. Most of them good ...although the potential for nasty surprises (omigod, that derails my plot!) can also arise.

19. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Ceres, Pluto, Helene, Callisto, Mars, and Earth ( Terra)
    So quite a few real places, just events and stuff is fiction.

Those outside of Sci-fi think in the small scale, in terms
    of real places. :p
    Though it would be funny to have a non-cannon offshoot
    short with them all meeting up at Applebees or something
    like that at the end. :p

Quanta and jannert like this.
  20. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

They better hurry. I hear Applebees is shutting down.

Cave Troll likes this.
  21. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I would say Chile's, though I fear you might tell me they're next. :D

jannert likes this.
  22. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

Germany - more specifically, Koblenz and the area around Laacher See.

23. Azuresun

Azuresun Senior Member

I've set my book in the area I live in (Leeds and the surrounding towns, in West Yorkshire), and doing the research has been fascinating. One of the conceits is that it's partially set in the world of ghosts, letting me use historical characters. And because places destroyed or decayed in the living world can still endure in the ghost world, it's been an excuse to do all kinds of research on what the locales used to be like. There's a place in the city centre that's now home to a theater that used to house a giant housing complex designed to be almost a self-contained arcology. There's a village that was abandoned and is currently under the water of a reservoir. There's a "pauper lunatic asylum" that was knocked down about fifteen years ago, and is now a housing estate. It's great fun.

My personal favourite was when I was reading the story of a haunting in the city library in the 19th century, just because of the casual mention of how a librarian heard a strange noise late at night, drew his revolver and went to investigate.

jannert likes this.
  24. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

Bournemouth, a cosmopolitan town seaside down on the South-West coast of England, with a couple of scenes in London.